Howto remove paint from metal

Hi,

I've been given a car bonnet that's beyond repair but has lots of good mateial and I wondered what's the best way of getting the paint off ? I tried emery but that'll take forever and the paint is as tough as h*ll. Does anyone know a decent remover that will work with modern paints (bonnet is about 2 years old) ?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
mangled_us

Nitromors or Polystrippa paint strippers will shift most car paints.

Mike

Reply to
mike.crossfield

Dexron II Transmission fluid - (Don't ask me how I know this)

Reply to
bigegg

Or brake fluid.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Is it worth it? For the price of paint stripper you could buy a reasonable amount of sheetmetal from a sheetmetal shop, especially if it comes from their scrap bin. As for modern body pressings, ask any panel beater and he'll tell you the steel isn't that user friendly.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I'd support Tom's suggestion. It's a while (maybe 8 or 9 years) since I bought any 1 mm steel sheet, but it isn't expensive. I think that the last time I bought some, 2 m x 0.5 m sheets cost me about =A310 each (inc. VAT). In my experience working with salvaged metals is often frustrating.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

try car brake fluid it will lift paint off and leave metal looking lik new MB

-- malbenbu

this thread:

malbenbut

'Using any old steel' from the automotive industry is like the advice given to those contemplating marriage-

best avoided!

Reply to
ravensworth2674