Motor start relay, Where to get one?

I have a Naerok belt and disk sander that has a split phase motor mounted in the base casting.

The motor is fine but the start relay contacts have disintegrated. The relay is functionally similar to the ones used in fridge compressors, has 3 terminals and is marked ZE-604 10Amp, its was made by 'Zing Ear' but they no longer make them.

I presume that I could use a relay off a similar size motor but all my searches have drawn a blank.

At a guess I would say the motor is about 300-400W its a bit 'open frame' and I have thought of making a centrifugal switch as a last resort but would appreciate any ideas on finding a suitable relay.

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips

Starter relays work by switching the motor's start winding on when a large current is flowing through the main winding, such as during start-up. It should be possible - ie. I haven't tried it - to make an electronic starter with 4 components: a power resistor (made of resistance wire so it can be adjusted) to sense the main winding current, a triac to switch the start winding, and a resistor & capacitor in series across the triac to prevent it triggering at the wrong time.

If you don't fancy fiddling around to make that work, a 'fridge starter relay would probably work if the motor current is similar. Appliance repair shop?

Guy

Reply to
Guy Griffin

Thanks for the reply, I have all but given up trying to find a relay (all the fridge ones I found are probably too low a current rating) so was thinking of using second set of contacts on the start switch to energise the start winding just whilst the switch is pressed. The switch would also latch a 'run' relay so that it form a No-Volt switch arrangement.

I am sure the resistor/triac approach would work but would probably take a bit of time to develop properly.

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips

on small domestic fridg relay ad resistor between ends of coil t

desensify or ad timerto switch of starting winding MB

-- malbenbu

this thread:

malbenbut

replying to Ian Phillips, Andrew Slaymaker wrote: Philips, Can you make a Klixon 4CR series relay work? I have quite a few in stock but not sure it will work for your application. Let me know and we can go over. Thanks

Reply to
Andrew Slaymaker