Guyson blasting cabinet improvements?

I wonder if anyone has any advice, or improvements to Guyson blasting equipment, or maybe its just me !!

Despite renewing the nozzle, and fitting the correct jet to suit the compressor output (23cfm hydrovane) I still find the output at the nozzle very weak, or should I say lacking blasting medium. It takes ages to blast a bit of paint from cast alloy garden furniture for example.

Changing the compressor to cabinet feed pipe from 1/4" bore to 3/4" bore did little.

The obvious answer is the feed pipe, and shaking this does improve it for about 10 seconds, but then all goes back to the point where you can put your finger in the blast stream and feel very little ( I know, stupid idea).and it does seem to relate to the pressure drop, because the same applies if you let the air pressure build up.

Blast medium is not damp and is new from Guyson, pressure on gauge is 80 psi at the start, 40 psi after prolonged use, letting pressure build up makes little improvement.

I wonder if anyone has ever devised improvements to blasting equipment ? I know Guyson do have two types, and the newer is better, but older cabinets are plentiful

Bob

Reply to
Nospam

blasting

applies if you

equipment ? I

On mine the venturi feed pipe seems to slow down every so often - possibly slight blocking with media - and I very easily restore the performance by putting my (gloved) thumb over the nozzle and stepping on the switch for a second to blow back down the pipe.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If I had a brain............... I'll try that, maybe replacing the pipe as well in case there are internal cracks that cause it. thanks.

Reply to
Nospam

message

improve

gauge

stepping

The most effective cabinets have a pressurised container for the media rather than relying on the venturi vacuum to suck it up - problem is it isn't a continuous cycle as the media has to return to the base of the machine under gravity then be re-loaded into the pressure pot

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew

You can have a continuous blast with a pressure feed unit, but you nee a double chamber pot with a central pop up valve.

As for the problem with suction feed unit, the position of the pick u tube is very critical, too far in and it will start to pulse and ge choked with too much media, too far out and it will not get any media the trick is to get some one else to slowly push it in whilst blasting the flow of media should be just visible and look a bit like stea coming out of the nozzle.

If you pull the tube right out and put your thumb over the end whils pressing the pedal, it should have enough suction to hold itself ont your thumb, if it hasn't you have probably got a leak in the hos somewhere, or maybe the nozzle is not sealed into the gun bod properly.

The gun body is also prone to internal wear, and when this happens yo can have a dramatic fall in performance.

I assume you are using a suitable media for the job in hand, you wil need an abrasive grit for paint removal, if you try it with glass bea you will not get good results.

Hope this is helpful.

Phil (Guyson's Chief Design Engineer

-- pgp00

this thread: