Emergancy Stop implementation

I'm planning a scheme for emergency stop buttons in the workshop and am considering using the existing RCDs as the switching element. I have a three phase board equipped with a 100mA RCD and a split single phase board with the ring mains on a 30mA RCD. By having emergency stop buttons with two n/o contacts, each with a suitable resistor switching a phase to ground I can introduce a momentary fault current which trips the appropriate RCD but leaves the lighting circuits with power. . Very handy having a button by the exit to ensure everything is off when leaving.

Seems very simple, and I've proved it works, can anyone see any drawbacks to this scheme?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

What about throwing a crowbar into the dizzy box as you lock up at night ?

John s.

Reply to
John S

I can only think of wear on the RCD. I can't think if there is anything illegal in there as far as the electricity regs go. You should really have a no-volt release MCB for that though as they are designed for such applications. I'm sure you know this though but I should I should say so.

Rob.

Andrew Maws> I'm planning a scheme for emergency stop buttons in the workshop and

Reply to
Rob Wilson

Emergency switches should be n/c, not n/o.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller