17th edition regulations

I'm about to update a consumer unit and tidy up the wiring in my workshop

I understand that the 17th edition wiring regs have pushed RCDs into still more areas, and it may be difficult to follow Eurotherm's recommendations to avoid them. I have 2 Eurotherm 601 inverters to run an ML7 and a Dore-Westbury mill.

Eurotherm suggest the use of 'Type B' RCDs where they have to be used. Are these available only for industrial switchgear or can I fit them into a modern consumer unit ?

Ideally, I'd like to fit a fairly standard unit for the main house and a separate box for the garage. It should have separate circuits for essentials (boiler, freezer), workbench & general (RCDs are fine) and another for inverter drives if they're likely to cause nuisance tripping. There are also a few other workshop devices (hacksaw, drill press, MIG) that might want some thought.

I do have a 'real' electrician available to do some of this so Part P is not a problem. However, I want to ask for the right thing, and perhaps suggest solutions if he's more familiar with ordinary domestic setups.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

If your eqpt is running off 13A plugs, then consider the RCDs that are available built into 13A adapter plugs.

B&Q sell both types ... the no-volt release for machine tools, and the no-volt stay-connected for freezers and the like.

Reply to
Alun

Hi, The problem with Inverters is that their leakage current form the input filter (for compliance with the CE regs for emissions) fools the RCD into tripping. Now I can tell you a way round them tripping but it is not stricly legal as it defeats the filters and stops the tripping.

It is unlikely you will find such an RCD that wil go in a consumer unit as they tend to be industrial things.

Rob.

Adrian Godw> I'm about to update a consumer unit and tidy up the wiring in my workshop >

Reply to
Rob Wilson