Small vertical mill with quill

I'm after something like a Centec or Tom Senior E series mill. Any suggestions where to look other than the Bay of Evil?

Reply to
imagedude

Join the club :-(

See my fun and games below...

Home and Worksho have a couple of minty TS Es, but the are chargin insane prices.

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

One of these days I must get the little Gorton Mill out and onto ebay. Probably slightly bigger than most home DIY'ers want, but a fair bit smaller than a Bridgie.

Won't be after a lot for it, and could probably deliver.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Tell me more Peter ;-) What model is it? Any photos or links to that particular model? Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

It's an 8D IIRC, stored up the farm under cover and a sheet, it's a vertical mill with quill, belt drive and I think there is power on the table.

Ray Gorton (Gorton family successor) has a website with brochures and manuals.

Looking for £100 plus delivery or we can load it up at the farm with a fork lift.

I have some pictures of it at home, I'll email you later tonight, assuming I get home at a reasonable time :-))

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I've put them on the website:

through

Gorton family website:

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I modified a Senior Mill and added a Dore Wesbrury head see yahoo groups

am pleased with the result can do both vert a horiz milling Regards Alan

Reply to
alan

That's a very good way to go, as horizontal TS mills go quite cheaply (everyone wants a vertical). The TS mills with quill feed heads fetch crazy prices, and of course the standard TS vertical head is fixed.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

The Dore Westbury head idea was written up in MEW some years ago (when the Dore Westbury head was around). The Westbury version is still available from Woking Precision Models - and I *think* that's the version used here. I seem to remember that Neil Fazakerly put a Bridgeport head on a Tom Senior to good effect. With the going rate for a BP head being £200-£250ish that gives a lot of machine in a smallish footprint.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping