Odd 40 Int spindle

My recently acquired Maho MH600 has a "40 Int" taper in both the vertical and horizontal spindles. However it's not a normal 40. The
taper sits in a recess that has an OD od just under 60mm. This means that normal 40 tooling is 3.5mm too big across the flange. http://tinyurl.com/cy766a Does this version of a 40 taper have a specic name ( I always get confused at difference between BT40, CAT40, INT 40) and probably a host of others.
The easy solution is clearly to grind down the OD of the flange to suit but it would be good to know what tooling would fit automatically.
Charles

Before you resort to grinding, try turning. I've had good luck modifying some 30 taper stuff in the lathe with carbide. Also turned one item down from 40 to 30 with no trouble. Have you considered a little judicious modification to the spindles?
Tim
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:21:57 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@onetel.com wrote:

I'd start with turning and then move on to grinding if needed. I have a diamond tool that would be useful. Modification of the spindle is not on the agenda for all the obvious reasons.
Charles

I don`t think the taper will be either BT or DIN/CAT as these are for machines with toolchangers and the Maho spindle would not be designed with toolchangers in mind.Now before you all jump up and tell me they will fit,yes I know that ,but Charles is wondering what the original equipment was. DIN/CAT is 63.55 dia on the flange BT40 is 63.0 40 Int is 63.0 You don`t mention if it has drive dogs on the spindle flanges but I had a couple of German mills once that used a solid 40 taper collet without drive dogs,think they may have been called SK40 but can`t remember,can`t even remember the name of the machines.Still have the manuals though but not here. Other thought was,what about Bristol Erricson quick change,they have a smaller than standard flange and they did make 40 Int adapters. Mark.
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 03:29:13 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk wrote:

Thanks Mark
Yup - it has drive dogs (visible in the rather poor phone picture) so is "normal" in 40 taper terms. If it's an oddity then it's not a big problem to solve but it must have been someones standard
Charles

Sorry,hadn`t looked at the pic,hadn`t noticed the link either. :-)

It's a JT40WA they are 60 mm on the OD
John S.

John, Where did you dig that up from and what does the JT mean? Mark.
John S wrote:

wells snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Thanks John
At least I now know what I'll never find!
Charles.

Why don't you ask on the practical machinist forum ..they have a whole section there dedicated to owners of these mills ..if anyone can tell you they can.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f
All the best.markj