40-Taper sticking -- Suggestions?

Hi All,

The 40-taper on my big mill is sticking and I have to beat the top of the power draw bar with a hammer to make it release. I am sure it is not doing the power draw bar any good. It has been like this for months. Not getting any better, not getting any worse.

I have tried cleaning it out with brake cleaner.

I have tried oiling it.

I have tried wd40.

Any suggestion please????

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

PrecisionmachinisT

The NMTB40 tools stick in my manual mill too. You're hitting in the wrong spot. At least for mine, a light wrap sideways on the tool itself knocks it right loose after running the power drawbar for a second to have the bolt pushing down. Let me know if the spray Sam recommended works. I'm just used to it, been that way for years. The same tooling doesn't stick in my CNC mill.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thanks, looks like it is worth a try.

I notice the next best option in that search is "Sex lube," Hmmmm. LOL

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Oh, and it is not just any particular 40-taper. It is all and any of them. Ranging from the $30 cheapies up to the $200 collet lock.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

QC-30 toolholders stick in my mill too. I just whack them sideways with a small brass hammer.

Ignoramus14196

put a chalk mark along the tooling and see where it is touching and not touching. Usually if the tool is not releasing something is bent or warped and you are getting a springing action that is holding the tool tight. If it is all the tools then the spindle taper is screwed up. Never tried it but some lapping compound on one of the tools and with the drive dogs removed lap the inside of the taper. I would also check the runout of the spindle itself.

John

Reply to
John

Be careful with that brass. I once had to drive out a lathe spindle & used a brass hammer. It _deformed_ the end of the spindle (which fortunately did not affect its functioning). The thing with brass is that it work hardens.

I now use only a lead hammer on machinery. I made one using Linotype lead, which is much harder than plumbing or flashing lead, but much softer than brass.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

MSC #: 84988336

I have had the same problem, and this tool has helped out alot.

You might be able to find it cheaper, just google for spindle socket cleaning tool.

Reply to
tnik

================ I have not tried this myself, but there have been posts in other newsgroups that a light coating of lipstick on the holder will help. This could have been a leg pull, but cheap to try.

Let the group know what you find out.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

No, it works. There are other factors that weren't mentioned that can cause this behavior.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Any particular color George?

I tried the SO's Strawberry Blush, but other than being barred from touching her stuff again without asking, nothing happened.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that