Flat filing

I recently had to deburr a number of parts by flat filing then Noga-ing them. Unsurprisingly I got better as I went on, but one thing made a surprising difference - the order of hands and part on the file.

I started off using the driving hand - part - other hand order you see everywhere, but I found that it was a lot easier to get a flat action using a driving hand - other hand - part order.

Is this common/well known? Usual? Or am I just weird?

Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I don't understand your description of techniques. Can you elaborate?

Reply to
Clifford Coggin

Normally you would have the part in the vice, and grasp the file with your hands at the ends of the file. The part would be filed in the middle of the file, between the hands.

I was holding the file with both hands together and the file end sticking out, with the part being filed at the end of the file.

HTH,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

When I was doing a metalsmithing course I was shown draw filing of the edges of sheet metal to get them straight by clamping the file in the vice and drawing the sheet along it.

Reply to
David Billington