Fred's programme

I was interested in the boiler inspectors work on Fred Dibnah's programme last night. Obviously it was only the steam test but it seemed very laid back. Not a mention of ensuring the safety valves would keep the pressure down with a full fire. But I liked Fred's use of the oats to cure the small leaks. I have heard they used to put potatoes in as well. Starch being a good sealant. I am sure he knew that using the boiler on the road would probably cause movement around rivets, we just didn't hear it on camera.

Reply to
Alan Marshall

I think a few tears will be shed at the end of this serious. he has done to Engineering what Bill Oddie has done to birdwatching Dibnah will be missed. Had a good night with him at henam steam rally one year. He drunk like a fish.in the beer tent. Very entertaining.

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

I'm hoping this last series will rejuvenate an interest in engineering. From the preamble I got the impression that Fred felt smale-scale engineering was dying out, and this was his last chance to visit such establishments ( for more than one reason ).

I must admit to a 'cor blimey' when I saw the brass scrappy's place - I could spend a few weeks picking through that little lot!

What with al the standardisation these days it's getting increasingly hard to find old brass that matches up with that on antique instruments colour-wise.

I've bought in a crate of Steam Ale specially for the series...12 bottles...1 down, 11 to go!

Cheers,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

that "brass scrappys place" is the same place i get mine! it is lik

aladdins cave and you pay by the kilo. met fed in there on man occaisions mostly on saturday morning

-- bolma

----------------------------------------------------------------------- bolmas's Profile:

this thread:

bolmas

Wow, that's impressive restraint.

Looks like being his best series yet, and a fine epitaph.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

So where is it - for those of us living in Bolton?

Reply to
Mike

I'm not promising that I won't have to go buy another crate halfway through the series...

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Anyone know of any similar such places rather more closer to Hants??

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Saw it tonight (recorded), nice to see they had dug up an old (staged) clip of Fred buying the engine from Peter Froud, my employer more or less at the time. AFAIR the engine was a 'convertible' and had been in roller form. The front axle & wheels were actually from a Garrett. Don't know if Fred ended up using them or found some genuine Aveling ones. I remember at some bash or other, longer ago than that, trying to get him to explain how he got the ladders into place on a tall chimney. Never did get to understand it, not sure whether that was down to the beer he'd drunk or the beer I'd drunk

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Out of interest, what are you paying per kilo for scrap brass?

Reply to
Duncan Munro