Frost P240 blacking kit

Hi all, are the results of this kit ok or is there a better product to blacken tools? Best regards, Dirk

Reply to
Dirk

If the tools are steel and not too large then heating till hot and dunking in old engine oil is what i do, never used a chemical kit or do't know if any good.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

It works just fine, I have used it for years without problems. --

Chris Edwards

If the tools are steel and not too large then heating till hot and dunking in old engine oil is what i do, never used a chemical kit or do't know if any good.

Mike

---------------------------------------------------------- How hot does the steel need to be Mike?

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

A dull glow is good, but make sure you drop it in deep oil. I remember dropping a clamp in the 1/2 inch of oil in the tray rather than the pot when at school and the room filled with smoke.

Of course after that we did it every time :)

Reply to
Cliff Ray

On or around Wed, 15 Apr 2009 00:22:50 +0100, Cliff Ray enlightened us thusly:

However, I presume this technique is only good for non-heat-treated stuff.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

e:

er way!" =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

A few years back I bought one of the "Black-it" kits advertised in ME and MEW. It works ok, and is a cold process, but it does involve a lot of messing about with different solutions. I still have the kit, but like the other folks who've replied, I now generally use oil blacking.

Mike

Reply to
mikecb1

ote:

sier way!" =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

I have used te chemical process for some time on gun work, it involves a saturated solution of caustic soda with oxidising agents in it, the proces is quick and produces a deep black, however hot caustic is nasty, giving off slightly toxic fumes and the chemical dissolves skin rather fast. Peter

Reply to
petercolman45

Thanks all. I find the kit rather expensive, about ¤60,- overhere. But if the result justifies the cost, why not. I am a bit reluctant to heat my qtc to cherry red and dunk it in waste oil though. Best regards, Dirk

Reply to
Dirk