Frost P240 blacking kit

Hi all, are the results of this kit ok or is there a better product to blacken tools? Best regards, Dirk

If the tools are steel and not too large then heating till hot and dunking in old engine oil is what i do, never used a chemical kit or do't know if any good.
Mike

If the tools are steel and not too large then heating till hot and dunking in old engine oil is what i do, never used a chemical kit or do't know if any good.
Mike ---------------------------------------------------------- How hot does the steel need to be Mike?
Cliff Coggin.
Cliff Coggin wrote:

A dull glow is good, but make sure you drop it in deep oil. I remember dropping a clamp in the 1/2 inch of oil in the tray rather than the pot when at school and the room filled with smoke.
Of course after that we did it every time :)
On or around Wed, 15 Apr 2009 00:22:50 +0100, Cliff Ray <namnocATgotadslcouk> enlightened us thusly:>Cliff Coggin wrote:

However, I presume this technique is only good for non-heat-treated stuff.

    It works just fine, I have used it for years without problems. --

A few years back I bought one of the "Black-it" kits advertised in ME and MEW. It works ok, and is a cold process, but it does involve a lot of messing about with different solutions. I still have the kit, but like the other folks who've replied, I now generally use oil blacking.
Mike

I have used te chemical process for some time on gun work, it involves a saturated solution of caustic soda with oxidising agents in it, the proces is quick and produces a deep black, however hot caustic is nasty, giving off slightly toxic fumes and the chemical dissolves skin rather fast. Peter
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com was zeer hard aan het denken :

Thanks all. I find the kit rather expensive, about 60,- overhere. But if the result justifies the cost, why not. I am a bit reluctant to heat my qtc to cherry red and dunk it in waste oil though. Best regards, Dirk