Making waterproof cable connector on lathe - which plastic?

Fancy making some waterproof connectors (similar to

wondering what plastic to use.

I've heard that Nylon will soak up water, so would acetal or Delrin be better?

Reply to
Robin

Delrin is just the DuPont trade name for acetal. I wouldn't be too concerned about nylon in water (unless your lathe is on a submarine ). It is hygrascopic, which means it absorbs water, but it doesn't have too much of an effect and it will only absorb a certain amount. It changes size slightly and gets tougher, but looses some of it's tensile strength -neither to an extent that would effect this application though. If buying it for the job then I'd prefer to machine acetal, but if you've got some nylon lying around use that. There used to be someone on ebay who sold cheap offcuts of plastic bar, don't know if they are still there -worth a look.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

As far as I know, Delrin and acetal are different, Delrin is stronger but acetal is less hygroscopic. There's a place near me that sells PVC rod too - is that easy to work with? I've got a Myford Super 7 and use indexable tools. Worth getting some bits of each in anyway, plenty of other projects to start (need to make a threaded adaptor for an American pump - need to cut 11.5tpi internal thread)

Reply to
Robin

> > so wondering what plastic to use.

Delrin is Acetal. DuPont invented Acetal Homopoylmer, and the other manufactureres developed Acetal Copolymer (which has randon ethylene oxide molecules dotted around the chains) to get around the patent, but both are PolyOxyMethylene (POM) or Acetal in laymans parlance.

The homopolymer (Delrin) is marginally stiffer, but is less suitable for applications where it will come into prolonged contact with HOT water, where thermal oxidation can rapidly cause failure.

Both are hygroscopic to the extent they must be dried thoroughly before moulding, but compared to Nylons their absorbtion is insignificant in terms of application and use.

Anyway, Nylon/Acetal/PVC/ABS are all suitable as long as you use an elastomer seal to prevent ingress.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

=A0If buying it for the job then I'd prefer to

I'm still there, just moved the store to .com is all;

Nylon can absorb up to 25% of its weight in water - UHMW absorbs virtually zero and delrin only a few percent.

If that connector is going to see any rough use, I'd suggest UHMW because it's virtually unbreakable.

Reply to
surplusdealdude

No, the relevant seller us Ringwood Precision:-

Selling from New York isn't relevant to ukrme :-|

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

UHMWPE is a fantastic material for some uses, mainly involving wear resistance. But it is an absolute pig to machine and requires razor sharp tools. I wouldn't reccomend it for this application, massivly over specced. Virtually any engineering plastic would do. Quite agree with Peter regarding water.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Think I'll just get some Acetal - it's not too critical whether it absorbs water or not - the threads it will screw onto aren't formed very well anyway so I'll probably have to fudge it with PTFE tape anyway

Reply to
Robin