glass discs?

Norman Billingham <norman.at.tumulus.org.uk> wrote:

If they are still going, Chance Glass in Great Malvern used to knock similar glass blanks out at reasonable prices. I've just checked the web and they still appear to be in business:
http://www.chanceglass.co.uk /
Norman Billingham wrote:

These any good? Ebay #230399010663 they are the glass discs for a hammer break glass emergency switch. 20 for $20. You might need to ask the size/thickness. JC
Thanks to all for the useful contributions. I could indeed make them myself with a core drill or carborundum, and polycarb or acrylic are the fallback position if all else fails. However, I was very surprised how difficult they are to find commercially. I had assumed that since there are so many torches, kaleidoscopes etc about, a Google search would easily turn up a source of supply but it appears not.
Anyway, as always the group was helpful and I am grateful.
In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Norman Billingham <norman.at.tumulus.org.uk> wrote:

I assume that you're referring to the question about glass discs - but if I hadn't seen the original thread, I wouldn't have a clue what this post was about!
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 6 Dec, 15:40, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Well, it did have a "References" header so your newsreader should have displayed, or allowed you to load, preceding messages
Owain

Well my newsreader (the dreaded OE - albeit with Quotefix) just displayed it like a new thread - with no hint (such as a Re: in the title, or quoted text in the body) that it belonged to an existing thread.
Now you have pointed it out, and I have displayed the whole thread, I can see that it does - but it was by no means obvious. Perhaps it would have been safer to have changed the subject just to "Glass Discs - Thanks" or somesuch, and/or to have quoted the original question.
--
Cheers,
Roger

That's odd. I too use OE and the message displayed within the original "Glass discs" thread. Perhaps the difference is your addition of Quotefix, whatever that is.
Cliff Coggin.

I doubt if it's that. But I *do* have "Hide Read or Ignored Messages" set in the View menu - so it doesn't display previous parts of the thread - only the new messages. If I turn that off, the whole thread is then displayed, and I can indeed see that the Thanks message is part of the original thread.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Cliff Coggin wrote:

Same here

I've got Quotefix :-)
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Ah - at last a justification for using Google Groups. It's all one continuous thread there and hence quite understandable.
Rob
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:16:47 -0000, Norman Billingham wrote:

Any CE marked toy and most torches won't have glass in them, too much of a hazard when it breaks particulary in a toy. You don't seem to have picked that up when it was mentioned earlier.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Norman Billingham wrote:

I've been busy with other 'Christmas' type events for the past week so haven't logged on to the newsgroups but am amazed that no-one in the 27 replies has mentioned Watch Glasses.
They are the perfect readily available option and make it silly to even think of 'making your own'.
Cousins list 1.5mm thick upto 34mm dia and 1.8mm thick upto 36mm dia. These are flat mineral glass with polished bevel edges. If you can get away with 1mm thick then they also list up to 46mm.
The range available is in 0.1mm dia increments generally from 13mm but for some types (thicknesses) 24mm (I only mention this since others might see an easy option for other purposes).
Their web site is www.cousinsuk.com and phone number 017 0875 7800.
JG

Brilliant - thanks.
I had thought of watch glasses but the only ones I could find easily were convex - these look like the perfect solution for what I need.
On Dec 4, 11:11pm, "Norman Billingham" <norman.at.tumulus.org.uk> wrote:

Hi Norman, I can bring my glass circle trammel device down to Sandown for you to try, if you would like. It might be war time manufacture but should still work. See you on the stand, anyway. Ned Ludd

Cut too fast? Can't they bevel the edges slightly for you? Cut your own from greenhouse glass and flame polish the edges?

E-mail the suppliers of the kits and ask if you can buy the windows separately?

Scientific glassware catalogues? You'll probably find something designed for chemistry or microscopy.

--
Clint Sharp

Standard microscope filters are, AIUI, 32mm in diameter. They come in a wide variety of colours, and ironically "clear" might be hard to find. If 32mm will do, and you can find a suitable colour, they should work for you.
David
--
David Littlewood