grease for roller-bearings: not coperslip surely ? (semi off-topic perhaps)

Semi-off-topic as the application is for a motorcycle, but I'm sure all you good folk will ahve something useful to say on the matter.

It's for the rear swing-arm, so bearings are subject to periodic quarter-turns rather than full revolutions, if that matters. I've bought some second-hand parts, and noticed that the bearings seemd to have copperslip grease on them, rather than the normal common or garden variety. Does this sound reasonable as it struck me as a bit strange. I suppose it's plausible that the previous chap has put copperslip on to stop the outer part of the race siezing in the housing, and it's somehow got into the bearings themselves, or at least looks as if it has.

Any thoughts ?

I'm probably going to take them out and regrease, but now having doubts about what to put in them.

Thanks

Hywel

Reply to
hyweldavies

Isn't that copper slip stuff slightly abrasive ....I don't know My last bike was a Z650, had it from new. 1981............these are known for buggering up swing arm bearings I knew this, so every time I cleaned the bike..almost every week, I also pumped castrol LM grease into the nipple on the swing arm with a grease gun 'till new clean grease emerged. ..it didn't take much for that to happen. This practise led on to me doing 28,000 with no trouble with the swing arm bearings. I also use-to oil the chain at the same time .after first degreasing the chain with paraffin and washing it off with a hose .then starting it up, put it in gear to fling it dry for 2 Min's (top gear at tick over and a blip now and then)..........then I would put a spot of engine oil on each link. The original chain was still fitted when I sold the bike at 28,000..and only half way up its adjusters.

all the best..mark

Reply to
mark

Definitely the wrong stuff for bearings. Jolly good for the back of brake pads and for preventing bolt and stud threads rusting but it ain't a true grease. Castrol LM should do you fine.

Reply to
Dave Baker

In article , Dave Baker writes

It is amazing how some people seem to think Copaslip is the stuff for all seasons.

I was chatting to a mate recently as he was working on his (second-hand) bike, changing front disks. It's quite important that the bolts securing the disks don't come undone (it gets noisy if they do), so it's normal practice to give them a dab of Loctite, which usually makes removing them a slight pain.

These ones came undone very easily, and his face was a picture as he showed me the Copaslip on the bolts...

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Nigel

You've noticed that too. I get particularly worried when I see people using it on bolts into aluminium where water may get - such as wheel studs (or just about anywhere on a motorbike). Copper and aluminium live streets apart in the galvanic series, what you are setting up is a battery designed to corrode the aluminium.

Which reminds me of the guy who was having trouble getting his brake drum on after fitting new brake shoes. He asked a mate for help, who was staggered to find that this guy had got desparate and had tried greasing the shoes to help the drum slip on. He realised it wasn't ideal, but he thought it would burn off in the first few miles. He didn't know about the brake adjusters.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In article , Steve writes

Oh yes. There *is* stuff made (its name escapes me at present) for aluminium cases. I seem to remember it being pretty expensive, too.

*Wince*
Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Duralac?

Reply to
Martin Evans

How about Copralite ? Which is why they don't let me loose on trade names.

I once ordered some of the official stuff for building Rover V8 engines, supposedly to stop steel bolts seizing in aluminium holes. I would swear it is the same stuff you use to stick patches on inner tubes. Not at all what I expected, still have it somewhere.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Seam to remember putting a water pump on a rover v8 ...sure the intention of that stuff was to seal the bolts because the threaded holes are not blind , they go into the water jacket or the crankcase or something....it's a long time ago.

all trhe best...mark

Reply to
mark

Swinging arm is not a good application for roller bearings. I'd be inclined to put in a high moly grease rather than LM.

Reply to
Newshound

what bike is being worked on, and are they taper rollers? do you have a solid swinging arm spindle or 2 "pins" that screw in from either side?

Reply to
bolmas

Sounds like I should clean it all out and put proper grease in.

I think they are tapered rollers, and if I understand Bolmas's question correctly, it is two pins not a solid arm.

Bike is an 850 Moto-Guzzi T3; complete with a filing cabinet to keep it in for the time being !

Sounds like coperslip is the wrong thing for screws into Ali then, quite apart from also not being bearing grease.

I've put it on my bicycle pedals, so perhaps shouldn't have. I did wonder at the time, half-remembering my electrochemistry. That said, the same principle should make it wrong for steel too, but obviously it isn't

Thanks guys

Hywel

Reply to
hyweldavies

In article , hyweldavies writes

Hywel, I'm X-posting this to uk.rec.motorcycles, there are a few very knowledgeable Guzzi fans amongst the denizens.

Bikers? Play nicely now. These gentlemen have the ability to be very, very helpful with regard to making stuff. It was one of them that made the rather lovely replacement sump for a racing Gixxer outfit that I posted about a while back, the same chap that provided some nicely ground SS stock for me to make some caliper pistons for Lozzo's ZZR. Take a bow John!

Hywel was asking about the correct grease for the swing arm bearings on his Guzzi. Sweller, any comments?

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Thank you, John and Nigel. They were spot on.

Reply to
Lozzo

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Nigel Eaton saying something like:

I am not Sweller, nor do I play him on TV, but I can tell you one thing.

The GS850 uses the exact same setup and all that's needed there is Castrol LM according to Suzuki San.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Nigel Eaton writes

Amazingly I can find no specific reference in Mr Richardson's Guzzi bible. The Guzzi manual says AGIP F1 Grease 30 = Castrol LM methinks.

Reply to
Pete Fisher

I'd suggest good quality... oh, f*ck, I'm pissed and I've forgotten. The black grease, anyway. Definitely not copper grease.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

Molybdenum disulphide grease? That'll work nicely. Now back to the Shiraz/Ebay combo....

Dangerous that is young padawan

JB

Reply to
JB

I've only ever used regular castrol LM on swing arm bushes, and it's always been fine.

Reply to
Champ

I use CV grease (the black Molybdenum disulphide stuff).

The factory book states AGIP F1 Grease 30; which according to Agip is general purpose lithium based grease. I'd still use the CV grease though.

Reply to
sweller