grease for roller-bearings: not coperslip surely ? (semi off-topic perhaps)

Semi-off-topic as the application is for a motorcycle, but I'm sure all you good folk will ahve something useful to say on the matter.
It's for the rear swing-arm, so bearings are subject to periodic quarter-turns rather than full revolutions, if that matters. I've bought some second-hand parts, and noticed that the bearings seemd to have copperslip grease on them, rather than the normal common or garden variety. Does this sound reasonable as it struck me as a bit strange. I suppose it's plausible that the previous chap has put copperslip on to stop the outer part of the race siezing in the housing, and it's somehow got into the bearings themselves, or at least looks as if it has.
Any thoughts ?
I'm probably going to take them out and regrease, but now having doubts about what to put in them.
Thanks
Hywel
hyweldavies wrote:

Isn't that copper slip stuff slightly abrasive ....I don't know My last bike was a Z650, had it from new. 1981............these are known for buggering up swing arm bearings I knew this, so every time I cleaned the bike..almost every week, I also pumped castrol LM grease into the nipple on the swing arm with a grease gun 'till new clean grease emerged. ..it didn't take much for that to happen. This practise led on to me doing 28,000 with no trouble with the swing arm bearings. I also use-to oil the chain at the same time .after first degreasing the chain with paraffin and washing it off with a hose .then starting it up, put it in gear to fling it dry for 2 Min's (top gear at tick over and a blip now and then)..........then I would put a spot of engine oil on each link. The original chain was still fitted when I sold the bike at 28,000..and only half way up its adjusters.
all the best..mark
Swinging arm is not a good application for roller bearings. I'd be inclined to put in a high moly grease rather than LM.
what bike is being worked on, and are they taper rollers? do you have a solid swinging arm spindle or 2 "pins" that screw in from either side?
--
bolmas
Sounds like I should clean it all out and put proper grease in.

Hywel, I'm X-posting this to uk.rec.motorcycles, there are a few very knowledgeable Guzzi fans amongst the denizens.
Bikers? Play nicely now. These gentlemen have the ability to be very, very helpful with regard to making stuff. It was one of them that made the rather lovely replacement sump for a racing Gixxer outfit that I posted about a while back, the same chap that provided some nicely ground SS stock for me to make some caliper pistons for Lozzo's ZZR. Take a bow John!
Hywel was asking about the correct grease for the swing arm bearings on his Guzzi. Sweller, any comments?
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester
Nigel Eaton said...

Thank you, John and Nigel. They were spot on.
--
Lozzo
GSX-R1000 K1

I am not Sweller, nor do I play him on TV, but I can tell you one thing.
The GS850 uses the exact same setup and all that's needed there is Castrol LM according to Suzuki San.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

Amazingly I can find no specific reference in Mr Richardson's Guzzi bible. The Guzzi manual says AGIP F1 Grease 30 = Castrol LM methinks.

| Pete Fisher at Home: snipped-for-privacy@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk |

I'd suggest good quality... oh, fuck, I'm pissed and I've forgotten. The black grease, anyway. Definitely not copper grease.
--
Trophy 1200 750SS CB400F CD250
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3

Molybdenum disulphide grease? That'll work nicely. Now back to the Shiraz/Ebay combo.... <Yoda mode> Dangerous that is young padawan <ym>
JB

That's the stuff.
I have a hangover.
--
Trophy 1200 750SS CB400F CD250
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 21:03:32 +0100, Nigel Eaton

I've only ever used regular castrol LM on swing arm bushes, and it's always been fine.
--
Champ

Nigel Eaton wrote:

I use CV grease (the black Molybdenum disulphide stuff).
The factory book states AGIP F1 Grease 30; which according to Agip is general purpose lithium based grease. I'd still use the CV grease though.
--
Simon

Nigel Eaton wrote:

Meant to add, your man may find this useful: ftp://sweller.dynalias.org/pub/guzzi-manual/guzzi-manual-150l.pdf [8 MB]
--
Simon

snipped-for-privacy@mztech.fsnet.co.uk crivait...

Another useful site:
http://guzzitheque.free.fr /
--
Francis Chartier

Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Andy Bonwick

But these people are my friends, and I had hoped that you'd be nice.
I failed to take the Bonwick Factor into account. Mea Culpa. ;^)
(For the URME folk, Andy's a pro and tends to mock my tiddly little Bridgeport and Colchester. I think he's just jealous because Mrs. Bonwick won't let him have things like that at home).
--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of
the ability to unlearn old falsehoods.

correct. I need the space in the garage for more bikes. its bad enough that I have to move them outside this week to make a temporary home for his stuff while he's in between jobs.
--
Adie
(replace spam with nickname to reply)

What you might call a shit hot computer system...
Regards, Tony