Help needed to get started with Mach3

I've had a CNC mill (and mach3) for a while but not had the time to play with them - now I have the time but the first steps seem rather daunting.
As a first CNC project I want to machine an "S" shape out of a flat plate, preferably with beveled edges. It would be good to be able to do simple engraving on the top.
Is there a good (free, ideally) CAD package to do the drawing in? Once I've got a drawing, how do I generate the G-code for mach3.
(Apologies for the very basic questions but we all have to start somewhere and I would be very grateful for any guidance)
unknown wrote:

You can use google sketchup.
Some useful info here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mach_software_artsoft_software/130252-sketchup_mach3.html
--
AC

On 07/04/2013 20:30, unknown wrote:

Cad drawing try Siemens PLM Solid Edge 2D drafting. It is EXTREMELY capable and FREE. To generate the G-code try "Cambam Plus" again very capable and you get 40 tries before it drops down a cog. Less that 100 to buy. Just for info I am using Linux CNC again at no cost.
Richard

Site Timeline