Hole drilling connundrum

--OK here's the thing: I'm trying to figure out how to make some small (1/4" dia x 1/4" long) widgets on my Myford lathe. I plan to use a compound turret accessory, mounting enough tools to make the part in one chucking. -Tool #1 will turn a step, easy peasy. -Tool #2 will be a very small center drill, again easy. -Tool #4 will part off the finished piece, but first... -Tool #3 is the stinker: I want to drill a #68 hole about 5/16" deep. What I'd like to do is mount some sort of high speed spindle that can mount a small chuck (Jacobs #0 most likely) and be spun at something like 20,000 rpm. Has anyone seen plans for something that will fill the bill? The real problem is that the turret is relatively small; holes are 5/8", 1" deep and total turret diameter is maybe 4", so there's not a lot of room for anything complicated. I'm toying with the idea of adapting a small handpiece from a Foredom hand tool, which easily fits within the 5/8" turret hole. Maybe a motor mounted above and parallel to it could drive a belt to turn it? Has anyone done anything similar? Any pointers appreciated..

Reply to
steamer

In article , steamer writes

A compressed air- or water-driven drill head? Something like the one my dentist uses to inflict torture on me with distressing frequency. This would be very compact and capable of extremely high speeds. I don't know whether you would be able to find one at a decent price though.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

How about a mini air-driven grinder? A 'micro die grinder', according to my catalogue.

That's 56,000rpm. Erm, maybe you could throttle it back by reducing the air pressure?

Zed

Reply to
zedbert

Actually, that looks bloody useful, for all sorts of things. Quite a reasonable price, too.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I wonder if it's significantly better than the one RDG sell at 25 quid ?

(yes, I know some people are unhappy with their mail service, but they do also have these at exhibitions).

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

There's a herd of them on fleabay at around £30 each. Dunno about the quality to'.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother