Indexable counterbores - metric

Does anyone know where I can get a set (M4/5/6/8/10) of indexable counterbores at a sensible price? Chronos and Warco sell imperial sets (

) but I can't find a metric set anywhere. Thanks

Reply to
pcb1962

Does it have to be indexable?

I get the HSS ones from J&L with interchangeable pilots.

Chester were selling metric HSS non interchangeable sets at Harrogate IIRC.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I thought it would be a good idea as I don't have the means to sharpen an HSS bit.

Thanks, I've found metric HSS sets, just thought it strange that there don't seem to be metric indexable sets.

Reply to
pcb1962

One advantage of the ones with the interchangeable pilots is that, once one has removed the pilot, the cutting edges are easily accessible and could be sharpened, with care, on a bench grinder. The reason I got them was that I didn't just want to use them for cap-head screws, so I can use different pilot and counterbores size ratios, even make new pilots if I want.

To be honest, unless you are doing serious production or difficult materials, I don't think you'll need carbide for a counterbore. If you do, you'll already be using carbide drills and you won't be swimming in Chronos and Warco's pools :-)

regards

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Just a comment but I find the "standard" counterbores too big on the counterbore and too big on the spigot!

For model (and tooling) work I personally feel that standard counterbore diameters look ugly. Accordingly I tend to use standard milling cutters for the counterbores, metric or imperial to give a nice look to the job.

However I must admit to have been tempted, more than once, by the J&L set with interchangeable pilots, (as mentioned by Mark).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Found that on one last Saturday. Had to machine off nearly a whole thou from a pilot to make it fit a 3/8" reamed hole.

10 thou would be far easier. Ended up centring it in the four jaw, spinning it up and stoning it off. Took far longer than it should have :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Can you give me a reference for that set please Richard (or Mark)? I can't see any sets that mention interchangeable pilots. Thanks

Reply to
pcb1962

Sorry not in the current flyer and I do not keep old ones! Also not in catalogue as I see it, but I am sure it was J&L that offered them. Apologies for my inability to help.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Not in sets as far as I know, but have a look at page 133 of the current catalogue for Imperial ones - I don' think they do metric. Nice thing about them is that you can make a pilot for any size hole you like.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Apologies for reviving an old thread, I've been on the lookout for a set of metric counterbores with separate pilots since they were mentioned on this thread, so in case anybody else is interested I've finally found some here:

pcb1962