3/8 x 26? or is this metric?

I was in a bike shop (run by volunteers) and they had one of those thread checker set-ups - the same kind you find in a hardware store -
and they had, among others, "10 x 1(3/8)" and "10 x 26(3/8)" I am not sure what they were talking about, but I think what they meant was "10 x 1mm" metric and "3/8 x 26" imperial.
I guess I am asking for a sanity check. I went to the ansi charts and there is 3/6-16 and 3/8-24. Would 3/8-26 be a special thread and not commonly used? Remember we are dealing with bicycles, which may have the special, extra fine threads, but I have very little experience with bicycles...
raiticide
Dear rabbitkiller:
On Saturday, June 9, 2012 10:43:59 AM UTC-7, rabbitkiller wrote:

Agreed.
As good a guess as any.

No, it is simply not an ANSI thread. It is a metric thread, and they are (I guess) giving you rough Imperial equivalents to foreign standard threads.
http://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat8.htm
David A. Smith
On 12-06-10 09:12 AM, dlzc wrote:

I did more googling and I DID find some 3/8 x 26 "Special" taps and dies. They may used for bicycles. As far as using a 1mm Pitch thread on a 26 TPI, well 1mm turns out to be 25.4 TPI, right? That might work on the thin nuts on the wheels where there is only 3 or 4 threads, but anything thicker than that and there will be problems.
rK
Dear rabbitkiller:
On Monday, June 11, 2012 6:13:47 PM UTC-7, rabbitkiller wrote: ...

Yes.
Even one thread on class 4 fits, and it'll fail. Not that they make class 4 threads on anything short of mechanical gyros...
David A. Smith