3/8 x 26? or is this metric?

I was in a bike shop (run by volunteers) and they had one of those thread checker set-ups - the same kind you find in a hardware store - and they had, among others, "10 x 1(3/8)" and "10 x 26(3/8)" I am not sure what they were talking about, but I think what they meant was "10 x

1mm" metric and "3/8 x 26" imperial.

I guess I am asking for a sanity check. I went to the ansi charts and there is 3/6-16 and 3/8-24. Would 3/8-26 be a special thread and not commonly used? Remember we are dealing with bicycles, which may have the special, extra fine threads, but I have very little experience with bicycles...

raiticide

Reply to
rabbitkiller

Agreed.

As good a guess as any.

No, it is simply not an ANSI thread. It is a metric thread, and they are (I guess) giving you rough Imperial equivalents to foreign standard threads.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

guess) giving you rough Imperial equivalents to foreign standard threads.

I did more googling and I DID find some 3/8 x 26 "Special" taps and dies. They may used for bicycles. As far as using a 1mm Pitch thread on a 26 TPI, well 1mm turns out to be 25.4 TPI, right? That might work on the thin nuts on the wheels where there is only 3 or 4 threads, but anything thicker than that and there will be problems.

rK

Reply to
rabbitkiller

Dear rabbitkiller:

On Monday, June 11, 2012 6:13:47 PM UTC-7, rabbitkiller wrote: ...

Yes.

Even one thread on class 4 fits, and it'll fail. Not that they make class 4 threads on anything short of mechanical gyros...

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc