A Most Sophisticated Science: Fluid Mechanics

About the only field more sophisticated than political science is momentum transfer.

Next various body shapes and situations need to be taken into account. Moreover drag needs to be considered as well as propulsion.

For example, on short sprints a simian armed ectomorph w/o a great lung capacity is going to benefit by diverting more effort to lift to hydroplane.

Women may want to get more propulsion from kicking.

Depending on the situation and what you are trying to do you should have dozens of different swimming styles.

If I look over and see a lot of two phase refraction of the light, either bubbles or splash, I know the other swimmer is moving stuff that doesn't need to be moved. He'll beat himself to death. As any hurricane surfer will tell you, if you cannot out macho the ocean.

Your swimming philosophy should be as minimalist as Strunk & White prose.

Never move _anything_ that doesn't need to be moved.

Bret Cahill

"Omit needless words."

-- Strunk & White

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Bret Cahill

Dear Bret Cahill:

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:27:38 AM UTC-7, Bret Cahill wrote: ...

Never say anything you will regret.

Like this post?

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Nietzsche would agree!

Reply to
Dare

"..it is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a book- what everyone else does not say in a book." - Friedrich Nietzsche, _Twilight of the Idols_, "Skirmishes of an Untimely Man", 51

Reply to
Dare