11 x 26" lathe?

Hi folks,

I'm looking at a 9x20 of one stripe or another and ran across this on e-bay. Anybody know anything about these? I'm assuming it's Chinese. Any resources or info on the net?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I meant to say I'm assuming that it's made in the same factory as the 9x20 lathes... The auction says it's Chinese...

Peter Grey

I've never seen one but the price seems a bit too high to me. For another $500 you can get either of these:

and while Harbor Freight has their problems they have been around for a long time and you know you'll be able to get in touch with them if there is a problem. Plus, if you're patient they eventually put nearly everything on sale. :-)

Looking through the seller's eBay store it seems that everything he has is overpriced compared to Harbor Freight's sale prices. He's selling the compact bender for $119 + $25 for shipping. HF often puts it on sale for $64.99 and shipping is free for orders over $50.

Aside from the price, one thing I noticed that I don't like about it is that the minimum RPM is 150. I have a JET 9x20 and that's my only major complaint about it. It's slowest is 140 (it says 130 but my digital tach says it's really 140) and it makes for some major fun when trying to cut

8TPI. :-) The HF lathes mentioned above drop down to 64 and 50 RPM.

BTW, if you're really patient you can probably find an even better price at an auction. I got my JET for $330 with all the standard accessories. I had to replace one gear for $13 after using it a couple of hours and it's been working great ever since.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Keith Marshall

I thought the price was high too. I'm not willing to spend $700 for 6 more inches (despite what all the spam I get suggests...), but thought I might find a cheaper source if the support was there. There's so much support for the 9x20 that although I know it's not a Myford, with some work it'll suit me fine.

Peter

Peter Grey

The motor and belts seem awfully small for a 11x26.

I have an old Jet 10x24 and it has a big beefy drive train and a nice US made 1hp 3phase motor that I installed.

Looks like it would get bogged down with the first big cut you take.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Peter, If you really want a 11x26 lathe you may want to check out

Search on item number G9972. This is a 11x26 lathe for 1195.00. If you can swing it I would suggest a 12x36 gearhead for 1995.00. I have this lathe (Item G4003) and am real happy with it.

Good Luck, Paul in NE Ohio where it is getting ready to snow,,,,,

Reply to
Paul Hiers