Ins

G'day, In Ivan Law's book "Gears and gear cutting", p.114, is a table that gives sizes for "D" Ins, etc. What does "Ins" stand for?
Dirk
Dirk wrote:

Inches
Bob Minchin gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :

No, then the width of a gear cutter would be 4 inches... Could it something else?
I think it is inches. The tables are for a diametrical pitch of one. Most gears have a much higher DP. You have to divide the table entries by the DP you require.
Regards Roger Woollett

Roger Woollett heeft uiteengezet op 18-1-2013 :

Thanks, Roger. All is metric overhere. But it starts to make some sense to me, a bit though. Do you mean that the table is made for DP=1? So the entries are factors, constants? Am I right let's say for a DP@ I divide the entries by 40 to get the right dimensions?

Yes that's right.
Most metric workers will use module rather than DP. (M 2.54/DP) You can work out the equivalent tables for module, I think there is a spreadsheet on the internet somewhere. I made one up myself which I could email to you if you are interested.
Regards Roger Woollett

Roger Woollett stelde dit ide voor :

Thanks again, Roger. Would love to have that spreadsheet. Just swap jezus by a g to get the adress. Best regards, Dirk