Iron casting

Hi all,

I am planning to make my own furnace for Iron Casting (as well as ali, brass etc.). I have seen various sites around that suggest I can use Waste Engine Oil to fire it, so this is what I intend to do (make very cheap castings...). I have some old machines (a reasonable size turret lathe, a J&S surface grinder and a universal grinder) that I will probably break up as raw materials (unless someone wants to make me an offer... I don't know if they work. I bought them about 3 years ago with the intention of restoring them, but I think scrap value now may be worth more than I paid for them).

I want to build my furnace and all the required parts (e.g. use a fan from an old dishwasher / tumble dryer to help the heat) and I want the furnace hot enough for iron.

Is there anyone near Mansfield (Nottinghamshire) or reasonable distance with your own home built (preferably) furnace that I can have a look at and ask questions about?

My intention is to cast parts for a 3" scale traction engine and possibly other stuff, though I guess I will have to make all the patterns.

My email (should you wish not to post to the list) is david dot colliver at revilloc dot com

Reply to
David

David, did you get my email?

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Hi, Yes I did, thank you. (sorry I didn't respond immediately.)

Reply to
David

Hi Dave,

Just rechecked. I got an email from someone, but didn't get yours. Can you resend.

Reply to
David

Hi Dave,

Just rechecked. I got an email from someone, but didn't get yours. Can you resend.

(apologies if this is duplicated, but I can't see the original...)

Reply to
David

Have done. you could drop me a mail at smalldotplanes, Im 'at' ntlworlddotcom

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

I am getting a few enquiries about the machines I have mentioned here...

I have 3 machines. I may scrap them as scrap metal prices would be good at the moment. (I have read the thread about scrapping machines...)

I have put photos up online if you are interested.

David