jargon question on workholding?

I have a dim memory that in engineering a distinction
is made between holding work such that it truly
cannot move (e.g. an object held in a bench vice cannot
rotate round a vertical axis, since the jaws are in the
way), and holding work only by friction
(e.g. an object in a vice can slide up and down,
if enough force is applied).
I *think* there are jargon terms for these
two notions.
Can anybody tell me what they are,
or (alternatively) wether I'm
misremembering badly?
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
You did say jargon?
Purfeck and Prayer respectively? :-)
Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.