Jones & Shipman 540

My "new" grinder will be arriving tomorow. I have a few questions. Does anyone know what these weigh, as my block & tackle is rated at

1/2 tonne -I'm suddenly wondering if this will be enough to lift it off the pallat that it's on (had to put it on a pallat as my trolley collapsed under the weight, hence the concern).

Has anyone serviced one of these, anything to look out for or helpful hints to pass on?

Regards

Kevin

PS

Still trying to get rid of my "old" surface grinder -Capco hand operated grinder, see

Kevin Steele

About 770 Kg without any extras.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Nett weight 1700lbs. The handbook warns against lifting solely by eye bolts at the top of the rear column. A rope should be threaded through these eye bolts and then passed under the two hook shaped casting extensions located each side of the front of the machine a bit below the cross feed handle. Finally returned to the first eye bolt

A bit difficult to unambiguously describe this set up but it results in a continuous loop of rope passing through the four points. When two sides of this loop are picked up by the crane hook the load is evenly distributed between the four points.

Excellent long lived machines but can develop excessive wear of the cross feed screw. Look out for half a turn lost motion! Replacements are available but not cheap.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

See

Try doing that properly when limited headroom means your lifting hook isonly an inch or so above the top of the machine

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

And if you lift it by just the lifting eyes on the top it leans foward at such an angle that oil poirs out from somewhere just under the table (don't ask, I just know).

Looks like the 1/2t block&tackle is due for some more abuse. I only need to lift it a couple of inches to slide the pallate out from under it. Then again, anyone ever tried operating one on a pallate?

By the way, that's exactly my machine on the pictures -circa 1960's

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Before you transport it make sure the oil is drained ... because the oil tank is sort of semi open and when you brake it sloshes back and forth and spills over.

When you get it home the first thing to attend to will be an oil.change remove whole of front panel. remove chain guard that sits on the front of the tank disconnect the two main pipes that feed hydraulic oil to the table . there are two other thin pipes that have to come off as well,these are your oil pipes that lubricate the ways. and an oil return pipe that just sits in a guide tube...just pulls out . now you can pull out the whole oil tank. remove bolts that hold the lid on the oil tank four rubber mounted bolts on the oil tank hold the pump motor on ..... remove them and take the pump and motor out as a complete assembly . there is a strainer below them.......be careful as you place the pump motor assembly down..you could crush the strainer. now you can empty the tank clean it out and put fresh oil in . when assembling check the rubber mounts to see if they are perished. when all is up and running adjust the oil dripper on the chain drive. and adjust the flow of oil to the ways.

Also check out and clean motor starter contactors in the top of the cabinet (two)...the get very dirty

Check that ram does not leak oil from the ends.......seals are about twelve pounds from j&s.

Also there is oil to change in the coluum lift mechanism......there a tube that winds itself round the back of the machine that has drains on it. as well as this there are oiling points for the coluum screw under covers at the back. and there are a few more oiling points doted about the machine. the troughs at each end of the machine collect the crap ..clean these out..

Think that's about two days work I've just given you there .any more questions don't hesitate to ask. all the best..mark

Reply to
mark

Well, I think I've had a case of "biting off more than I can chew" today. My grinder is still where it was yesterday (not in my workshop). The lorry I booked to move it couldn't manage it. The tail lift said it would lift 1000kg, and the grinder is suposed to be

770kg, but with the grinder on it would not lift flush to the floor of the lorry -and you can't bump a palate truck over a 3/4" step with that weight on it! Anyone got any good ideas for moving a grinder, or failing that anyone with transport want to buy a cheap Jones & Shipman 540.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Shipman

trolley

helpful

Kevin,

A biggish engine crane can do it - but do beware the 540 is a bit top heavy, also the base casting is a bit of a pain in that you cannot easily get rollers under it, being three point mounting.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson