It's IN !!!!!!

Those of you with a long memory may recall that I aquired a Jones & Shipman 540 Grinder last year. After all the trouble getting it home it has sat at the back of the workshop on the pallat that it arrived on since then. Every now and then I've looked at it and schemed ways to get it off the pallat and where I wanted it in the workshop.

This afternoon I finally got it put where it should have been all those months ago. After all my grand plans and scheming all I used to do the job was a crowbar and a sledge hammer (the hammer was just to "tap" the wooden pallat from under it in case anyone thinks I've been abusing machines). It went quite well, apart from the minor mishap when I dropped it. Fortunately the safety chain that I'd attached, in case of just such an occurance, caught it -but a 3/4ton machine swinging around at about a 30 degree list is quite alarming. The safety chain was a 1/2 ton chain hoist, and although it wasn't strong enough to lift the machine I thought it would be enough to stop it falling over -which it did. Unfortunately the machine fell on the length of chain that raises and lowers the chain hoist, pinning it to the ground. Sods law in full effect! After releasing the chain and lowering the machine down I shuffled it into position. Took less than a couple of hours, don't know why it took me so long to get around to it. All I have to do now is convert it to single phase, and fix the original fault it had (that's how I got it so cheap).

Regards Kevin

PS my other half has just peered over my shoulder and wants me to mention that she helped me too -I needed some balast weight on my lifting gantry as it ended up being a very odd angled lift for the safety chain. I've promised not to tell any of her friends that I used her to counterbalance a 3/4ton machine

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Well done, and no doubt you probably lost a few pounds in sweat with this weather! Very hot to be doing any heavy lifting.

Oddly enough having previously converted my little Dronsfield to single phase I want to put it back to three phase now I have a converter. The motor I got off Tim Leech is nice and smooth, and it grinds reasonbaly flat given its age, but I get some very slight surface patterning that I'm sure is down to the motor pulses.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Yes, I was thinking that might be an issue. I'd decided to try and leave the original motor in for the grinding head, running from a VFD and perhaps put a single phase motor on the hydraulic system.

In fact I don't use the horizontal arbour on my mill much (mostly the M type vertical head) and that has it's own VFD fitted -so I might "borrow" it to go in the grinder.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

welllllllllllll I would have been willing help if you were within 60 miles or so ...I always am ...I have all the heavy lifting equipment .

Not seen a post by you asking for help ..looks like you took one big risk today. ask next time and I'm sure others will gladly help . if i was in the same circumstances i would of asked.

and I'm not trying to make money here my time to help other fellow home shop guys is free ...us home shop machinists are a rare breed today ..and should help each other out when we can.

Glad you got it right and you are OK ..and everythings worked out next time ...it may be different...so shout shout shout.

all the best..mark

Reply to
mark

Peter I'm not sure whether the static converter fed three phase would be smooth enough to make the difference. It might be. If you're going to remotor it again I'd be tempted to put a delta wired 3 phase motor in and use an inverter.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Too late now: I have put stripes of PE underneath my shaper (320 kg) and I was able to pull it by hand this way.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Assuming that your 540 is similar to my 1400 (need to re-build/commission that), the motors will be 240/415 motors. It might be simple to put a set of dedicated capacitors on the pump motor and run it as it is.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

But only if I'd had a couple of feet more head room than was available, nothing ever seems to be simple :-(

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Sounds like you were very close to a serious accident, a 3/4 tonne machine tool falling on you would not be funny.

Engine cranes can be hired for a reasonable cost, and would have made the job a breeze.

Reply to
SimonJ

Possibly, but hydraulic hoists that can pick up 3/4 of a ton of bulky machinery at say a lifting radius of a metre or so are not small. We have one, which is superb for picking up things like that, but it is bl**dy enormous" and a 9ft lift height ain't much use with an 8ft ceiling....

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Yes, if it hadn't been for the safety chains it could have been nasty. But that is what the safety chains were there to do, and they performed thier task perfectly -with neither me or the machine suffering any damage. Just goes to show, propper planning for all eventualities is important.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Neighbours and relatives wonder why I built the workshop with a minimum height at the eaves of 9' 2" :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

More luck that good judgement from your description, your chains were rated at 1/2 a tonne, and the machine weighs 3/4. The 1/2 tonne rating of the chains also assumes that the load will be picked up smoothly, not snatched as a falling machine would do.

Reply to
SimonJ

They were never intended to take the weight of the machine, just to stop it toppling over. It was only six inches off the ground to start with. The main danger was always that it would topple over while being tilted to get it onto the floor. The weight is quite alkwardly distributed in the machine, making it rather unstable when being moved (relatively high for the size of footprint).

So although the machine weighs 3/4t, there was always some part of it in contact with the ground to take the actual weight -but I was obviously keen to ensure that the top stayed pointing up and the whole thing did not end up horizontal on the floor. I must admit I didn't do the maths, but I doubt there was anywhere near 1/4t on the chains at any point.

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Oh, the luxury of a purpose designed workshop. I bet we all have dozens of "dream features" that we would include in such a building. I'd have a load bearing beam running the full length of the workshop with a crane running on it so machines could be unloaded from vehicles at the door and taken somewhere close to thier final position.

Any other suggestions?

Regards Kevin

PS I'd have an electric hoist with powered traverse as well!

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Place all the electic receptacles high enough up that full sheets of plywood or drywall can be stored without blocking access. Usefull when redecorating the shop with a few new benchs, too.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Do you think it would just as bad then? Damn, that would be a pain as I was just going to pop the original motor straight back on:(

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Well just plug the motor into the convertor and bolt it to the bench. Then you'll get a sense of any possible vibration issues.

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Reminds me of two years ago when I was moving my Elliot 10m shaper into my workshop, managed to get it balanced on one of those cheap sack barrows from Costco with the help of the wife.

The balance point was a bit "fine" one degree either way and it was beyond control, nearly made it the 20 feet into the work room when things got out of hand.

It fell backwards, still not too much damage, the wife saved most of the paintwork by cushioning the drop........

All joking aside, it was a close thing, just managed to sidestep it, there was no way to get it upright, by hand so I dragged it back out to the door with the tractor and a length of rope then stood it back up using the front loader.

We did manage it on the second attempt including getting up a 2" step.

Now when I finally buy that Bridgy I will need a bigger wife!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

The 10M, while not desperately heavy, is *extremely* top-heavy. Mine was sitting outside prior to its being sold, & left it with Roy to move a couple of feet. I said to him 'it's very top-heavy, & if you don't think you can manage, give me a call'. Next thing I knew there was a deep dent in my car door :-(( No-one was hurt, & the dent stayed there until the car was sold for breaking a couple of years later.

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech