Knurling 304 grade stainless ?

Hi,

I need to make a couple of knurled thumbscrews in a material that will resist corrosion in a boat where there will be exposure to damp sea air (but not salt water immersion) and I wondered if anyone can tell me whether 304 is a suitable grade in terms of corrosion resistance and knurlability ?

If not then any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Boo

Reply to
Boo

Hi I often make parts from stainless with knurls and I find that 304 is OK. 316 is the best grade from the corrosion point of view but the poor machining and higher cost are a considersation I also find it harder and much slower to knurl 316 Peter

Reply to
Drawfiler

304 is just about OK for fresh water use, but it isn't much good if there is salt water anywhere near. Not really recommended. 316 is much better from a corrosion point of view, but it is a bit of a pig to machine, including knurling.

It can be done, but 316 is tough and sticky. Use sharp tooling, cut the screw blanks a bit more undersize than usual before using a sharp/new die (if you are going to tap them by hand, that is).

Take small cuts, and did I say use sharp tooling?

Knurling will take quite a bit of force.

316 is more expensive than 304, but for a couple of thumbscrews the cost difference shouldn't matter.

HTH,

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother