Lathe purchase

I have the oppotunity to buy a emco 10 lathe, my question is that, the lathe is a 2speed 3phase motor. Is it possible to convert this type of motor to run on single phase electrics? If so what would I require? the motor fiitted looks to be built into the machine so I think it would be diificult to obtain a single phase motor to fit easily, Thanks in advance Col

Reply to
Colin Murray

It is quite easy using 2 or 3 methods from a couple of capacitors and some switch gear or buying a converter.

Capacitors are quite cheap Say £20 allin will get you up and running

Buy the lathe if allother features are right and i and or several other regulars on the group will help you get going.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The problem with two speed motors is that they need a 415 V supply as they have two sets of windings, and this takes all six terminals... the star points are buried in the motor. To run this motor you will need a "real" 400 V three phase or a converter, as you can't just convert it to 230 V.

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes