Lathe Tool & Carbide Grinder

Hi all, I have been reading this topic on another forum for a few days:

It struck me that this type of grinder could be a good starting point for anyone with their first lathe and needing a little help to get HSS/Carbide lathe tools ground at reasonable angles. However, I can't recommend it to anyone as I can't find an importer to the UK, does anyone know if it is available here? It would be nice to find it at the American price (

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Keith, my bit is under my 'Aviemoron' non de whatsit. Primarily, my stuff was written for the American folks as the T&C is a

110volt one. The comments about the poor tool holders etc applies to many machines. John Stephenson in an earlier posting there wrote of using a cheap DE grinder for perhaps =A310 and using a 3 way vice and a holder of sorts. I think that if you haven't got a suitable grinder you could well come back to that concept or go for my suggestions on the YahooGroups ToolGrinding forum. Imortantly, there are plenty here and there who will try to help you

Cheers

Norm (or Aviemoron)

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Norm, Thanks I'll have a root round as you suggest, yet again I forgot the Yahoo Group I seem to have a blind spot there.

For myself I've been looking at the Derek Brooks (MEW) offering but can't decide if it will do the job. It seemed to get a bit of stick from the other side of the pond where they appeared to believe that it needed air bearings to work well. I must admit I keep looking at the Quorn but I don't think I want to invest the time at the moment. I've spent a few (understatement) moments thinking about John's idea and I'm sure it would work OK.

Decisions, decisions - this is where the ladies come in, instant decision and always right - why weren't men granted such a gift.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Keith, I don't want to get into further battles with some on the other side of the pond- but I have many friends there and there has been a huge interchange of ideas. Really, sensible stuff from sensible people.

For my part, my workshop is too small to have an air supply- period! Chaddock- who invented the Quorn didn't have one - or didn't use it but made 1/10th dia mills on it. Period? Who are we- and who are they? Answer, most haven't actually made one( oops)

You will read- I think- my advice and go for a modified Stent from Blackgates. True, it won't do a small number of grinding jobs but it is freer than the Quorn from grit. True, it has a poorer quality spindle but the Quorn one fits. True, the workhead is inferior but can be easily changed to a modified Quorn one. True, it is easier to set up- and that is most important.

If you have access to a mill with a power feed of sorts, go for the Stent. It's a 'baby' Clarkson.

Cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674