Lathe tools for wood - HSS vs carbide tips

Which is better for wood turning the HSS or the replaceable carbide tips?

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 03:18:02 +0000, Rob W wrote:

Hss for the little wood turning I have done.
--
Neil
Reverse ?a? and ?r?

There are several threads on carbide tipped tools in the Lathes & Woodturning section - http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/
There is no definitive answer of course but I suspect that the carbide tipped tools are becoming popular because they remove the learning curve that is required to both use & sharpen HSS tools.
If you want to hog out large amounts of wood quickly, having one carbide tipped tool would seem to be the way to go.
Regards wasbit
On 18/01/14 03:18, Rob W wrote:

I just make tips from old HSS machine hacksaw blades silver-soldered to something better than mild steel. (Usually old files, which can be used without the tip if hardened and tempered skilfully)
--
Rusty Hinge