HTD Timing belt Pulleys

I am looking to make some pulleys. I have searched but cannot find the full mechanical design details for the teeth. Can anyone point me in the right direction? HTD T3 and T5
particularly.
Richard
"Richard Edwards" wrote in message

Have you looked on the HPC Gears web site - there are some profile drawings
Andrew
On 13/01/2014 20:56, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Thanks Andrew but not enough info on the belt drawings even from Gates and Continental as well.
Richard
On 14/01/2014 08:30, Richard Edwards wrote:

Thats because they all licence it out. Any company making pulleys has to pay them a royalty!
You need someone with a profile projector really.
Wayne..
On 15/01/2014 19:27, Wayne Weedon wrote:

The best option that I can see is "Geaarotic Motion" but at $120 a bit too much for a couple of pulleys!
Richard
On 16/01/14 10:14, Richard Edwards wrote:

Have you priced up just buying the pulleys you need? I've made a few V pulleys in the past thinking that would be the cheapest option but when I found out the price of standard V pulleys and taper bushes from the local bearing supplier I don't bother, I just buy what I need off the shelf.
On 16/01/2014 10:55, David Billington wrote:

I completely understand however it is just another bit of hobby engineering. I am currently making a stepper driven rotary table, I could buy but prefer to design and make. The bigger V pulleys I would (and have) purchase. I made a T2.5 pulley a while ago, 70 tooth I could not find a source. it was actually a doddle to "flycut" the teeth.
Richard

What about using an elastic band to hold a length of the belting back on itself such that the U bend is of the right radius, and then projecting a shadow from that?
On 13/01/14 19:00, Richard Edwards wrote:

This may be of some use www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/X3-CNC/X3_Belt%20Drive%20Mods.pdf , it gives somes details of making 5mm pitch HTD pulleys. Not sure whether you'll have to copy and paste the link.
"www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/X3-CNC/X3_Belt Drive Mods.pdf"
On 13/01/2014 21:38, David Billington wrote:

Thanks for that Dave, the John Stevensons comments are very interesting. Do you know the tooth diameter for T3? The silly thing is that I have previously made an HTD T5 pulley but cannot find my original references!
Richard
On 14/01/14 08:28, Richard Edwards wrote:

I found this statement in a PDF file resulting from a search for "HTD tooth profile dimensions" "The HTD profile is protected by U.S. Patent Number 4,337,056" so maybe go find the patent on line and see what it says. Try plugging the number in here http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm , I found the patent but couldn't view the images, IIRC they use TIFF images and I couldn't find a plugin for Firefox, maybe there is one but I gave up waiting for it to be found.
On 14/01/14 22:20, David Billington wrote:

Looks like maybe the problem is I don't have a PDF plugin anymore as when I looked at the problem source it referred to a PDF file which if I put that in the URL bar I could view the individual patent pages fine in an external viewer. I got rid of the PDF plug in as it was slow and cumbersome compared to automatically opening the PDF in an external viewer which doesn't seem to work for the US patent office site at the moment for me.
On 15/01/14 00:54, David Billington wrote:

http://pimg-fpiw.uspto.gov/fdd/56/370/043/0.pdf seems to get the whole patent but having had a quick look I'm not sure it's going to help.
On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 08:28:45 UTC, Richard Edwards wrote:

Drill size for T3 is 1.82 drill size for T5 is 3.12
On 27/01/14 09:34, John S wrote:

Just as a matter of nomenclature, is there such a thing as an HTD T5 pulley?
I thought there were T5 timing pulleys and 5M HTD drive pulleys, and that the teeth forms are different (with the T5 being squarer and 5M being rounder)?
-- Peter Fairbrother
On 27/01/14 09:34, John S wrote:

Has anyone done that X3 mill modification, and if so is it worth doing?
Is it possible to use a 15mm wide belt if the rib in the cover is milled out to suit?
Is there a point in the X3 top cover being so heavy-duty? I can't imagine it contributes to overall rigidity, only being held on with four long M5 screws.
In the article Dick writes:
"Later on, I thought more about the splined spindle, and came up with a completely redesigned head, which will be the subject of a future article."
Anyone know anything about that, a link maybe?
-- Peter Fairbrother