HTD Timing belt Pulleys

I am looking to make some pulleys. I have searched but cannot find the full mechanical design details for the teeth. Can anyone point me in the right direction? HTD T3 and T5 particularly.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Have you looked on the HPC Gears web site - there are some profile drawings

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

This may be of some use

, it gives somes details of making 5mm pitch HTD pulleys. Not sure whether you'll have to copy and paste the link.

"

Drive Mods.pdf"

Reply to
David Billington

Thanks for that Dave, the John Stevensons comments are very interesting. Do you know the tooth diameter for T3? The silly thing is that I have previously made an HTD T5 pulley but cannot find my original references!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Thanks Andrew but not enough info on the belt drawings even from Gates and Continental as well.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

I found this statement in a PDF file resulting from a search for "HTD tooth profile dimensions" "The HTD profile is protected by U.S. Patent Number 4,337,056" so maybe go find the patent on line and see what it says. Try plugging the number in here

, I found the patent but couldn't view the images, IIRC they use TIFF images and I couldn't find a plugin for Firefox, maybe there is one but I gave up waiting for it to be found.

Reply to
David Billington

Looks like maybe the problem is I don't have a PDF plugin anymore as when I looked at the problem source it referred to a PDF file which if I put that in the URL bar I could view the individual patent pages fine in an external viewer. I got rid of the PDF plug in as it was slow and cumbersome compared to automatically opening the PDF in an external viewer which doesn't seem to work for the US patent office site at the moment for me.

Reply to
David Billington

seems to get the whole patent but having had a quick look I'm not sure it's going to help.

Reply to
David Billington

Thats because they all licence it out. Any company making pulleys has to pay them a royalty!

You need someone with a profile projector really.

Wayne..

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

The best option that I can see is "Geaarotic Motion" but at $120 a bit too much for a couple of pulleys!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Have you priced up just buying the pulleys you need? I've made a few V pulleys in the past thinking that would be the cheapest option but when I found out the price of standard V pulleys and taper bushes from the local bearing supplier I don't bother, I just buy what I need off the shelf.

Reply to
David Billington

I completely understand however it is just another bit of hobby engineering. I am currently making a stepper driven rotary table, I could buy but prefer to design and make. The bigger V pulleys I would (and have) purchase. I made a T2.5 pulley a while ago, 70 tooth I could not find a source. it was actually a doddle to "flycut" the teeth.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

What about using an elastic band to hold a length of the belting back on itself such that the U bend is of the right radius, and then projecting a shadow from that?

Reply to
gareth

Drill size for T3 is 1.82 drill size for T5 is 3.12

Reply to
John S

Just as a matter of nomenclature, is there such a thing as an HTD T5 pulley?

I thought there were T5 timing pulleys and 5M HTD drive pulleys, and that the teeth forms are different (with the T5 being squarer and 5M being rounder)?

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Has anyone done that X3 mill modification, and if so is it worth doing?

Is it possible to use a 15mm wide belt if the rib in the cover is milled out to suit?

Is there a po "Later on, I thought more about the splined spindle, and came up with a completely redesigned head, which will be the subject of a future article."

Anyone know anything about that, a link maybe?

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother