Lead Solder

In article , Steve Richardson writes

Yes, that was a particularly offensive bit of interference. Spent the last half of Dec 2004 finishing off some rewiring. Not sure how they can enforce it, although I did notice that some cable I bought in late 04 had a date stamped on it (I seem to have over-bought...). Big brother probably is watching you.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I think most would say it was failure of the design rather than any construction or assembly method. Of course those designers could have been distracted by a bunch of crappy euro legislation and forgotten the real reason why they are there :)

Reply to
Martin Evans

As a manufacturer of electronic assemblies, I have wondered if a clause in the guarantee to the effect

'This equipment is not guaranteed in the event of failure due to defective soldering. In that case, please apply for compensation to the EU (address given).'

Reply to
Tim Christian

Actually RoHS restricts Cadmium too!

Greg

Reply to
Greg

That's a good one 8-), but from recent experience it doesn't seem to matter what you put in your guarantee it won't stop companies going to law for the smallest thing.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Yes the design was unable to cope with a sensor failure, but it still remains an example of how the failure of a single electronic device can cause a major disaster.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

The paranoia isn't necessarily the major factor.

There was quite an issue over the use of asbestos in its various forms which seemed to hinge largely on a carefully misworded report issued t the EU authorities concerned. Given that the authorities who woul make the decisions were largely ignorant of the accuracy of what the read, it was pehaps unwise of them to use the firm who made 'the onl substitute' as the consultancy to write the report. As a result ther was a lot of remedial work of dubious necessity and a substantial cal on the provision of the substitute.

Thus at one nuclear installation all the fire doors had to be replaced despite the fact that all the relevant material was both inaccessibl and unlikely to be accessed and that the replacement material had higher risk factor than the asbestos product it replaced.

(While I agree that certain kinds of asbestos provided a significantl higher risk factor than others, it was interesting that the consultanc in question seemed to have got their figures at some odds to thos assessed by the AEA internal team.).

It was also interesting to discover that beech and other hardwoods hav a higher carcinogenic factor while being worked than some forms o asbestos.

Robi

-- rss

----------------------------------------------------------------------- rsss's Profile:

this thread:

rsss

Yes I know that the asbestos risk has been exaggerated, from what I've read many believe that white asbestos didn't even need banning, but if you read the HSE's material you'd think it could kill on sight 8-). But I'm not aware of any alteria motives for banning lead from solder, the same companies are selling both types and the biggest beneficiaries are the production equipment manufacturers who can't keep up with orders for new reflow ovens and flow solder machines, but I doubt they have much clout with Europe as it's a relatively small industry. The component manufacturers have paid dearly for the change and are huge, powerful companies. No in this case I'm fairly sure it's just the environmental lobby gone completely over the top.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

I would agree with that analysis.

RS produces a series of info leaflets on the progress of RoHS - I read with amusement in one of those that toxic fumes were never an issue with leaded solder, but because of the higher soldering temeratures, and consequently, the larger volumes of toxic stuff given off by decomposition of the *fluxes* used, they recommend the use of fume extraction hoods with lead free soldering processes.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I've seen quite a few reports in the trade press from those who believe the overall effect is going to me more pollution not less, and that the focus should be on recycling at the end of the products life not on replacing one problem with another, but the EU is completely blinkered on this.

Greg

Reply to
Greg