Lifting A Lathe

Hi,

What's the recommended locations for lifting a lathe? I can remember seeing pictures of them being lifted by headstock and tailstock as well as straps under the bed but IIRC these where ways it shouldn't be lifted......

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Not again!!!!111oneeleven :-) It's best to look into the lathe's manual and see what they suggest.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Well Google didn't turn up anything with 'lathe' 'lifting 'how to' in various forms with the web search......

Now that I've 'discovered' Google Groups though I see there are alot more info... Time to get reading

Michael

Reply to
Michael

There's been a discussion here (uk.rec.models.engineering) some months ago. Including my endless (worthless? nitpicking?) "contributions"*). Anyway, you'll get good tips if you read them.

Nick

*) sometimes I'm pickier than I'd want to be.
Reply to
Nick Mueller

Generally I grab mine with one hand around the bed, but then it is only 12 inches long

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

"Michael" wrote in message news:uY7di.6678$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

On the way to Harrogate, I had my Dad (77) and his mate (78) in the back of car. One a mover of machinery for many years and the other a machinist with a seven year apprenticeship to his trade. Fortunately I only asked the question half way there...

After 45 minutes a draw was decided upon.

Reply to
Steve W

Now that is funny ;-)

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Was the best method not a strap around the tail stock, and another around the chuck? ;-)

Reply to
moray

No, I think it was "weld an eyebolt to the bed".

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

"Michael" wrote in message news:uY7di.6678$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

This topic was well and truly slaughtered some time ago. The Colchester method is a plate bolted between the the bed ways just in front of the chuck. The bolt being an eye bolt that you can attach your lifting gear to. There are many other ways as were discussed in great length, so I wont "go there" again. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

No No No, get a chain sling round the lead screw and thru t'handles and tha'll be reet.

Reply to
Steve W

If you want to use that method, I know the ideal person for such a task, goes by the name Iggy....

Reply to
moray

another around

Ouch - I don't think he's found this newsgroup yet - at least I've never seen him post !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'm tempted to cross-post. I had two and a half beer! 1.25 l, for the imperial challenged ones :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Wouldn't carbide tipped chain-saw chains have more grip?

Nick, who still is certain that the C of G of a lathe is at the tailstock-end.

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I think he's been too busy 'milling by numbers', and reinventing the wheel to post much lately :-)

Reply to
moray

At least he is very enthusuastic, not afraid to show others his mistakes, and asks for suggestions, not making out that he knows it all - I think he needs encouraging rather than disparaging.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

There is nothing else to show. :-)

He never ask for suggestions. He presents his "work" as if he had invented the wheel and then, if someone is pointing him to his errors, answers "Good suggestion! I'll try that tonight"

He knows zilch, he acts like he knows all.

I never saw him doing the first step first. He's starting with the second one. Need examples?:

  • He bought a plasma-cutter to realize that it was much too big.
  • He welded a trailer to realize that he can't weld (and then proudly presented his vertical welds -where he had to grind off the blobs- to present his fans how "good" he can weld).
  • tack-welded the trailer's frame to the bed and then "finish" welded it. When I pointed out that he couldn't weld on all sides (especially the one with the most stress) he plonked me.
  • He bought a mill and then asks what he could do with it.
  • He's got that mill and before doing the first usefull chips starts programming useless patterns for it.
  • He's programming a circle but has an rotary table.
  • He has to ask how to connect LEDs but is building a TIG.

TBC ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

True, but the welding on that trailer was scary. And to have people saying it looked good was shocking. To say something resembling snotter was adequate for a trailer chassis, really makes me glad I'm in a different continent.

He does come up with some good posts though, despite being a bit 'full on' at times, but he doesn't handle criticism well, as Nick will tell you!

Reply to
moray

quoted text -

Ive not tried stick welding ever ...but assuming its the same method as MIG when welding vertical ...

weld up-wards ....

had a look at all the posts for this Iggy bloke cant see anyone telling him that ... looks like hes making the same goof all the time and welding down- wards ..

all the best..mark

Reply to
mark