Lifting A Lathe

Hi,
What's the recommended locations for lifting a lathe? I can remember seeing pictures of them being lifted by headstock and tailstock as well as straps
under the bed but IIRC these where ways it shouldn't be lifted......
Cheers,
Michael
Michael wrote:

Not again!!!!111oneeleven :-) It's best to look into the lathe's manual and see what they suggest.
Nick

Well Google didn't turn up anything with 'lathe' 'lifting 'how to' in various forms with the web search......
Now that I've 'discovered' Google Groups though I see there are alot more info... Time to get reading
Michael
Michael wrote:

There's been a discussion here (uk.rec.models.engineering) some months ago. Including my endless (worthless? nitpicking?) "contributions"*). Anyway, you'll get good tips if you read them.
Nick
*) sometimes I'm pickier than I'd want to be.

Was the best method not a strap around the tail stock, and another around the chuck? ;-)
moray wrote:

No, I think it was "weld an eyebolt to the bed".
Nick

If you want to use that method, I know the ideal person for such a task, goes by the name Iggy.... <vbg>

another around

task,
Ouch - I don't think he's found this newsgroup yet - at least I've never seen him post !
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

I'm tempted to cross-post. I had two and a half beer! 1.25 l, for the imperial challenged ones :-))
Nick

I think he's been too busy 'milling by numbers', and reinventing the wheel to post much lately :-)

I've
ones :-))

wheel
At least he is very enthusuastic, not afraid to show others his mistakes, and asks for suggestions, not making out that he knows it all - I think he needs encouraging rather than disparaging.
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

There is nothing else to show. :-)

He never ask for suggestions. He presents his "work" as if he had invented the wheel and then, if someone is pointing him to his errors, answers "Good suggestion! I'll try that tonight"

He knows zilch, he acts like he knows all.

I never saw him doing the first step first. He's starting with the second one. Need examples?:
* He bought a plasma-cutter to realize that it was much too big. * He welded a trailer to realize that he can't weld (and then proudly presented his vertical welds -where he had to grind off the blobs- to present his fans how "good" he can weld). * tack-welded the trailer's frame to the bed and then "finish" welded it. When I pointed out that he couldn't weld on all sides (especially the one with the most stress) he plonked me. * He bought a mill and then asks what he could do with it. * He's got that mill and before doing the first usefull chips starts programming useless patterns for it. * He's programming a circle but has an rotary table. * He has to ask how to connect LEDs but is building a TIG.
TBC ...
Nick

True, but the welding on that trailer was scary. And to have people saying it looked good was shocking. To say something resembling snotter was adequate for a trailer chassis, really makes me glad I'm in a different continent.
He does come up with some good posts though, despite being a bit 'full on' at times, but he doesn't handle criticism well, as Nick will tell you!

Ive not tried stick welding ever ...but assuming its the same method as MIG when welding vertical ...
weld up-wards ....
had a look at all the posts for this Iggy bloke cant see anyone telling him that ... looks like hes making the same goof all the time and welding down- wards ..
all the best..mark

I've always found welding vertical down *much* easier than up with the MIG, especially butt welds. Downhill with sticks is something I've never really mastered, though.
Tim

Tim Leech wrote:

With sticks, I can weld downwards *much* better. Cellulose-sticks, a short arc, holding the stick quite flat to the work and a bit of weaving left/right makes really nice welds. You have to blow the puddle upwards with the arc. Really controll it and not just let it go wherever it flows.
Nick

Depends what you're welding. But you should be able to produce good welds going either way.
I only came across the whole trailer welding thread, after it was mentioned in a later thread, and I never commented after seeing his response to Nick.

It must be keeping him busy, he didn't post much over the weekend.
Wes
Wes wrote:

Nick

If he does, we will know he put them in himself.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-Bridgeport-Mill/-THUMBNAIL.My-Bridgeport-Mill-0009.jpg
I wish the table on my mill was that nice. I have a few holes it came equiped with that I am going to fill with JB Weld, a two part metal reinforced epoxy.
I just wish the grinder at work was big enough to grind the table.
Wes