Making Pin style "C" spanner

I've needed to dismantle the bearings in my drilling machine and this requires removal of a pair of lock nuts which are round with a radial hole drilled in them, presumably form some kind of "C" spanner.

Naturally I don't have one of these and will now need two of them. They seem trivial to make using a rotary table and a vertical mill (in fact I think I've read about this in MEW as part of an article about making a cghuck for milling cutters). But unlike someone making a chuck for milling cutters I only have a lathe!

Are they available commercially at all to anyone's knowledge or am I going to be doing a lot of filing?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

There is a guy on ebay called toolshack that does teng tools

I had a boxed 8 piece hook and pin wrench set off him last year for about =A340

PRIVATE ...not thru ebay

this set retails at over =A386 from anyone else

see he's selling them at over =A360 now

his other online shop

this is the only value for money fully comprehensive set i could find ....

he has no sets on there now

you will have to email him or phone him up....sure he will look after you ...like he looked after me.

All the best.mark

Reply to
mark

Bore a piece of round to the diameter required and cut half, drill for pin required and fasten to handles... Or bore hole required in the centre of a piece of flat steel that is wide enough to accommodate hole and retain pin and long enough that when cut in half through the hole at 45º to provide handles...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Amazes me how people cant improvise, they must have the correct tool !!! Whats wrong with the old fail safe methods of hammer and punch, or a drill or even 2 drills that fit the holes held in place by hand and then use a bar between them or the quill or whatever... Yes, before you say it....... pure butchery, I was trained at Dewhusts !!!! Poverty was always the best teacher Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Make a big, fat washer in the lathe with the correct ID. Cut in half with hacksaw. Drill and tap to receive handles. Drill curved bit to receive pin of correct dia. Loctite. Grunt. Smile.

Reply to
John Montrose

Surely you "trained" at Dewhursts? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

:-)

Reply to
Tom
[snip]

Excellent idea and what's more I get two at once ! Why didn't I think of that sooner!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Yup, your right, Dewhursts, a typo on my part. I'm waiting now for those who dont get it to spend 3 weeks analysing and discussing it !!!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

I don't think it a wise idea to solicit answers to that. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Just a minor gotcha. The pins are normally 180 degrees apart, so some thought will be needed if you want to get two spanners from one piece of stock.

Mark Rand (who has also got to make a couple of pin spanners in the near future) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I had to remove the preload nuts from the leadscrew on my Sturdimill and that requires a pinned C spanner; a quick look through my collection of tools revealed a Clarkson Autolock spanner that just fitted over the nut; I stuck 2 short lengths of 5mm rod into 2 opposite slots of the nut, the Autolock spanner (being a closed design) held them in place and I was able to use the spanner to remove (and later refit) the nuts. Virtually a no cost solution and no time wasted making a tool that will be used once in a blue moon. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Sorry, tisn't, it's a "c" spanner he's after, not a face pin drive spanner: "... pair of lock nuts which are round with a radial hole drilled in them." Pin drive nuts have two holes at 180º drilled parallel with the bore of the nut.

Tom WIDRTOP

Reply to
Tom

You might bend (perhaps with heat) the end of a long piece of square stock to fit around the nut and drill a hole for a pin.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

How refreshing to hear Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Personally I would have liked to hear how he held the second nut... Tom Who intends to make a puller tomorrow that will only ever be used once in the foreseeable future...

Reply to
Tom

Do you have access to a bandsaw?

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Easy, there's one on each end of the feedscrew (sorry, not leadscrew); I left the handle on the far end and rested it on a conveniently placed table. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow