Melting mild steel in a furnace

I'm not sure how many backyard foundry's go in for attempting to melt mild (low carbon) steel.
Not actually sure I would need one that can melt mild steel - but I've
been looking anyhow at furnaces you can buy, but I cannot see any brand that will melt mild steel.
What do folks generally do, home-make the furnace for mild steel?
Richard wrote:

Look at Thermit Welding.
They will - or once would - supply a mix of aluminium powder and iron oxide with additives to produce any grade of steel.
ou don't need a furnace, just a crucible, reservoir, colour card to match the red heat prior to tapping, and of course a mould to pour into. Suggest a split wooden box and Petrobond sand.
--
Old Nick