Mercury metal for barometer

Hi folks,

The recent discussion about mercury at rec.crafts.metalworking reminded me of an idea I've had for a long time. I'd like to build a really impressive mercury barometer. Anyone know where I might lay my hands on a litre or so of mercury cheaply? People must have to pay to dispose of it now!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Another material that has a Duty of Care handling notice and special disposal requirements. You'd be lucky to find any outside of a workshop or uni these days.

My late stepfather used to bring us the stuff home to play with! he worked on vacuum pumps at Mullards valve factory in Mitcham.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Christopher Tidy wrote: > Anyone know where I might lay my

I have a friend who restores old clocks for a living, and barometers are a bit of a sideline. I asked him why he buys "new" mercury, rather than recycling used stuff. He said it's difficult to get it really clean, and even small impurities can spoil the look of a column of Hg in a glass tube.

Reply to
Jordan

Labpakchemicals stock it at £14.34/500g

I had my eyes on a Darton Kew barometer that was being scrapped at work. I had been told that I could have it, but I think that It may have been officially disposed of before I could ferret it away :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

It's even simpler to shake mercury and nitric acid together in a suitably strong vessel, then separate them, rinse with water, separate again, then filter.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Hmm. Doesn't sound like anyone has any mercury they want to sell. Pity. By the way, I'm aware of the dangers. If anyone wants to dispose of a substantial quantity I'd be happy to sign a document absolving them of any responsiblity for what I do with it!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy