metals and colour coding

Does the following chart apply to all uk metals or is it just specificaly for one supplier
http://www.woodberrychillcott.co.uk/steelcat/materclrcding2.htm
and another question..... I have according to the chart a peice of steel called EN40B says its heat treated......does this mean that it it is unworkable as regards turning in a lathe. it measures about 6 inch long and 3 3/4 diametre.
all the best..mark
I don't believe there is a standard that everyone uses, so be careful if comparing metals from another supplier -also some companies have thier own internal colour codes and mark up material as it comes in to thier stores.
Depends on the state youe EN40B is in. It would usually be supplied in a workable state, and then be heat treated after machining and finish ground to size. A pretty good rough 'n ready check is to rub a file over the edge -if it removed metal it will probably be machinable. I haven't machined EN40B, but we use a bit of EN30B at work, and it's tough old stuff -even when "soft". You'll probably want tipped tools. -olny worht the effort if you need the mechanical properties or hardenability of the steel.
Regards
Kevin

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:21:21 +0100, Kevin Steele

EN40B is nitriding steel

-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Anyone know what EN35 is? I called at a local machine shop the other day to see if they had a bit of EN36 spare, they were 'fresh out' but had a bar of EN35 in the rack, the foreman had never heard of it & nor have I.
Cheers Tim

It's the same as EN 36 but has to be labeled by a guy with Parkinson's -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
yes it will file ..thanks guys. it will do for something i supose. all the best....mark