More Ebay Madness

I have been after a small circular saw for modelmaking for a while, and saw one on ebay. It was a Proxxon KS230, which would have been ideal. I watched in disbelief as the second hand one sold for £98, plus £10 postage!! This was particularly odd as they can be bought brand new, with guarantee, from Axminster for £69.99 -including free delivery. Ebay just never ceases to amaze me.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

While I suppose strictly it's people, not eBay that is mad, I have heard tell that some people run 'dummy' auctions.

While I can't comment on this particular auction, the idea is that A offers an item and B (who might be A under an alias or a friend of A) bids and buys succesfully, therefore building-up decent feedback. Of course B ends-up paying over the odds to ensure he "wins".

The A launches an auction for a high value item, C bids legitimately, wins, sends the money and never hears from A again.

Or more innocently it just be that the buyer gets too tied-up in the auction.

MH

Reply to
max

'been watching an old Quorn on Fleabay, started at GBP300 but the write-up suggested it was in good condition and with extras. 'staggered to see it went for GBP621 yesterday. T&C cutters appear to go for silly money on Ebay.

the likelihood of finding it.

Reply to
Seymour Swarf

Ive had 2 'wins' (why is it called winning? surely its just being willing to pay more...) shoot up massively in the last 30 seconds, todays went up =A396! still I payed what I consider a fair price, and thats what I base it on, I put a bid on that is the most Im willing to pay, and that I consider fair, then just let it be. My mill went up from 400 to 650, but then the DRO on it is worth nearly that anyway, so cant really complain....

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Yeah! You don't "win" an auction. You pay more than anyone else was willing to.

At least, more than anyone else that knew about it, anyway! :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

At risk of opening up a schaublin/Hardinge debate - Buy It Now !!

nickphill

At risk of opening up a schaublin/Hardinge debate - Buy It Now !!

Do I recall that 'fordeight' on eBay is Rotagrip in disguise??

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Think so.

They've been hawking that lathe, with that unhelpful description, at that unjustifiable price for a few weeks now.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

There was a chap from Wiltshire, posting on the PM forum a few months back, who claimed he just sold 3 of these, fully kitted out with all the bells and whistles, from his business for £300 each to one of his employees.

And then he bought a couple of Warco lathes for his own use at home.

Apparantly.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Good story Peter but obviously if he only got =A3300 per machine he couldn't afford a big enough shed to put one of the things in. Just a personal thing but while I agree they are superb machines they are so "bl***y ugly. I just can't see them as a thing of beauty :-)

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I ended up getting a bit ratty with the bloke Keith, as he was quite (unfairly I thought) scathing towards the UK model engineering groups. To be honest I thought the tone of his posts was designed to ingratiate himself with the septics at our expense, with a number of things that just didn't ring true.

The thread is here

if by any chance Dave (Spooky) is reading this, then by all means feel free to come on in and argue your side of it.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I do a BIN on eBay at £14.99 inc free p&p, if I send it to auction starting at £0.99 I can expect anywhere from £10 to £20 with £4.50 p&p !

I don't really care if its mad, keep it up I say.

Reply to
Fungus the Bogeyman

Hi Peter, I completely missed that discusssion, shows what interesting stuff you are diverted from by "family" matters. I'm only here at the moment waiting for the garage to finish an MOT and then it's back to the M4 car park.

He certainly seems to try and rubbish our "UK attitudes" particularly with regard to Myford so I can't believe he has found this group yet. I think we (well all of you really) give a very well balanced opinion of new/old/Myford or otherwise. I even cringe sometimes at comments on Myfords business by JS and even he doesn't completely rubbish the machines, just the current prices and their apparent equipment investment policy.

A few interesting contradictions as well, "I have a fair machine graveyard" followed by his justification to you that potentially valuable machines have to be got rid of (no matter at what cost) on the morning that the replacement arrives or it costs money. I can't really comment on the scope of his graveyard as I couldn't find the promised pictures. To be honest it sounds like a lot of overpaid "business consultants" have spent time with him. All of that JIT stuff sounds great but is completely scuppered by a simple breakdown, sickness or late delivery. In the real world I can't remember anyone getting the type of machine utilization he eludes to. Then again I worked in an area that used to work a =A31m, 5 axis CNC for sometimes as much as 30 hours a month!!!! Try to make a profit at that.

Anyway, thanks Peter reading the discussion passed some time as the garage spent my money doing work that possibly wasn't necessary. Obviously in his mind all the real experts are the other side of the pond or perhaps (as a cynic) they are thought to be easier to impress. Still Warminster is and has been a centre for some strange "activities", perhaps it isn't all the doing of ET. :-) Apologies to "Spooky" if I have him completely wrong but of course he is welcome to tell me so at any time. Is it far from Chippenham?

Peter, did you manage to keep dry through this season of floods,? I do hope so.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

PM(?) forum What are we missing?

ps Welcome back Peter & Keith! --

Chris Edwards

Reply to
Richard

Yep, we were lucky here in the east Keith, no major flooding problems.

Think I'm going to end up building a dwarf wall to keep the water all on my neghbours side (we don't get on anyway)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Good, very pleased to hear that Peter. The wall sounds a good idea but do check that it works that way with you. My daughter was in Oxford at her boyfriends during the floods this year; they watched the water rise in the garden and spent hours filling sandbags. Having put them in place they smugly watched the water rise a bit more but still several yards from the house, still feeling "safe". The landlord turned up, thanked them for their efforts and took up a floorboard to show them that the water was only four inches below. They were incredibly lucky that it just stayed below the floorboard level by an inch or so. Funny things water tables?

I seem to remember that your wall was discussed after "the event" but don't forget that the water pressure can be extremely high. An "iceberg wall" (more below the ground than above) might be best. I suppose you could always bury some pond liner on his side as well? to protect the footings of course.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

In that case make it 16 foot.................

Last house we lived at, new house, new estate, all company Barclaycard etc.. our neighbour insisted on growing roses down the side of the 30" access path. Request he moved them or kept them trimmed fell on deaf ears.

One day I announced I was going to put a fence up to which he replied "Do as you like "

When the 17 tonner pulled up on his front loaded with secondhand shit house doors, all non matching colour's, he decided it 'may' be prudent to move them.

Hint for if you 'really' want to piss a neighbor off on an estate, may not work on real new ones.

BT in their infinite wisdom wire a 30 odd core cable to the dizzy box, go to the first house, use two core, daisy chain to the second, use another 2 cores, daisy chain to the third, use two cores...................

So you nip out one night, whip the cover off pratheads box, note the core colour's. They you go back to your house, take those cores inside and when pratt goes on holiday ring the talking clock in Australia and leave it off the hook for a week.

Reply to
John Stevenson