Myford headstock taper

While cleaning the headstock on the ML7 yesterday I put a tapered dead center in the spindle and it seemed to fit snugly. Was I just lucky or is the spindle actually ground to a standard Morse taper?

Cliff Coggin

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Cliff, it's MT2 so should conveniently take all the same items as the tailstock.

Reply to
Duncan Munro

You seem surprised, Cliff. Do you need an explanation of turning 'between centres' or why it is a 'good thing'?

Reply to
Charles Lamont

My only surprise is that I have had the lathe three years before discovering that the spindle is ground MT2. It wasn't a feature I was told about when I bought the lathe. In fact I still ponder from time to time the function of some of the accessories that came with it in a large box , I'll get round to sorting them out one day.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

It's a standard 2MT. The 2MT soft centre normally goes in the headstock and you machine the nose to 60 degree included angle so that it is accurately centred, before turning between centres. (The 2MT hard centre normally goes in the tailstock)

Myford lathe spindles have always had 2MT spindle holes, and they make a range of 2MT collets, closed by a ring on the spindle nose, to go in them. You can also get 2MT collets which are closed by a drawbar, for use in the nose. The new Myford Super Seven with the larger spindle is 3MT, though, ISTR.

Tony Finn

Reply to
Tony Finn