spindle taper

The large taper in headstocks is provided so you can pass the largest possible material through the spindle. Typically, a tapered adapter comes with the lathe, reducing the taper to the same size as the one in the tailstock.

Yeah, you can make one from soft steel, but it won't retain its precision very long. Each time you bump it out of the headstock you'll be inclined to mush it a little, and if you don't do a good job of matching the taper intimately, your center will be inclined to move about under the pressure of the cut. Assuming you can match the taper well by bluing, that may not be an issue. However, I don't recommend a soft adapter unless you don't expect to use it very much.

What you can do instead of using a faceplate is chuck a short piece of stock that has a shoulder so it can't move in the chuck. Grip the piece with the shoulder tight against the end of the jaws, then turn a 60 degree point on the piece. Use the chuck jaws to drive the dog and you're set to go. It saves you changing from the chuck to the face plate, which would be an offset for the time you take turning the point. That the point is soft makes little difference in this instance because it turns with the spindle, so all it's doing is locating and restraining your part. It need not be hard, in other words. Should you choose this route, save the center for future use. A quick pass on the angle each time you've chucked it and it's ready to go, dead concentric.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I have just aquired a jet model 1024 lathe and don't have all the tools. What I need is the dead center that goes into the headstock when turning between centers. The manual says the taper in the spindle nose bushing is a no 4 morse taper, but the taper of the spindle center is a #2 morse taper. I am a little confused. Measuring the spindle bore it seems like it is the no 4, but what do they mean by spindle center? While I am at it, where can I get the #4 taper? they don't come very cheep from what I see and since it is used with the face plate can I just turn one down and not have it hardened? I am new to machining with the lathe so excuse me if these are dumb questions. Thanks for any help in advance.

Reply to
john morris

Another thing you want to watch on this is the # 4 may well be a special short taper. I bought a used Jet and it was. I used a boring bar to move the end of the taper on out to the spindle hole. before that a #4 wouldn't seat properly. The manuals at the time even stated the spindle taper wass shorter than normal. I have no idea why the quit the taper bore before it intersected the spindle bore but they did on mine. MT4 centers aren't very scarce or expensive. Try Grand tool for centers and adapters to MT3 and MT2. Garry

Reply to
Garry

My used Enco 1024 came with a short MT3/MT4 taper adapter, and a MT3 dead center. I haven't looked at the bore, but I bet it's like yours.

Rex B

Garry wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

There have been replies about MT adapters, but that doesn't help unless you already have more than 1 MT2 center. I have the Jet 1024 and I bought an MT4 center from Enco for $4.75. The bottom-of-the-line, but it's hardened carbon steel and I use the chuck mostly, anyhow.

Full-length is fine on mine, it does not bottom out.

The headstock is MT4 and the tail stock MT2.

HTH, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

My Sheldon Lathe a 11x44 is a Morse taper #4 - long normal.

Grand is a good company to work with - or was when I was buying stuff from them. They seem to have tons of taper stuff. Nice metric drills by .1mm and all sorts of goodies.

Garry wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to