Help with HF 14" x 40" lathe

My neighbor bought a used HF 14? by 40? lathe with assortment of accessories, but no manual. Then, to make easier to move, they remove the motor. When he hooks it up again, the motor lets all the smoke out. The motor has been rebuild but there is another problem. With the motor disconnected, one position of the reversing switch causes all the external circuit breakers to blow.

This lathe has a lot more electrics then I would have expected. Without a manual, it is gonna be tough. The model number on the data plate is TD-12368. With a date of 1994. HF has discontinued this model and offers no help. Does anyone have a manual to sell or loan? Or any ideas on a source?

Also, what is done to reverse the single phase AC motor?

Jan Howell

Reply to
jhowell297_member

Jan

""Also, what is done to reverse the single phase AC motor?""

Briefly!! The run winding and the start winding are usually connected in parallel. After the motor gets going pretty good the start winding is disconnected by a centrifical switch. By then the rotation of the motor is established and the motor continues to gain speed until the running speed is obtained.

Some other variations are used such as a capacitor connected in series with the start winding to give some phase shift which shifts the current through the start winding. This makes the motor turn one way or the other. Changing the wiring makes the current phase shift through the start winding change which makes the motor go the other direction.

Some motors have a capacitor and some don't. Some motors have a start switch and some don't. All depends on the many different schemes of the motor winding schemes. And there are plenty to go around.

Lots more to this if you would like. It would take me a while to work up much more discussion.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Jan

[...]

I bought a new lathe recently and it has relays that are controlled by switches. The relays do the actual switching. You probably have trouble in the relays and possibly the motor is incorrectly wired.

You do need to make sure all is well before energizing anything now.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Compare yours to this one. Maybe you'll get lucky.

AL

Reply to
JR North

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:12:11 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, JR North quickly quoth:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Now -there- is a statement of absolute certainty for him.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On or around 13 Dec 2005 17:28:52 -0800, jhowell297@aol,com enlightened us thusly:

accessories,

You can of course disconnect all the existing wiring and wire up a separate motor starter switch, and reversing switch if needed.

This is the route I went with the Colchester student I have here. There are

2 separate electrical switches on the student, in theory, one is electrical isolation and the other is the motor start switch for the original 3-phase motor.

This one has a single-phase motor with capacitor permanently in circuit - the connections to the motor are on a 4-way block and it's wired up to a normal motor starter box with go and stop buttons and a thermal overload cut-out. Diagrams below (fixed pitch needed)

rotation direction A | Rotation direction B | link | phase ->o------o | phase ->o1 2o 1 2 | | | | link| |link 3 link 4 | | | o------o

Reply to
Austin Shackles