Myford monopoly ??

As many will know Ower Gert has been selling bits on Ebay for engineers for a while. However since RDG has taken over Myfords they are systematically
having any object containing the word Myford removed from Ebay. Whether it's listed as a genuine Myford, a pattern part or even a second hand part they are being removed.
Jim Marshall who trades as Lathe-Parts UK and sells genuine Myford second hand spares has even had some of his listings removed.
Does this mean you can no longer sell a secondhand Myford or any parts off it, seems as if they think so.
Rather ironic that for years they have sold cheap import patterns from India which ultimately helped the demise of Myfords and they were not stopped, but now the boot is on the other foot it's different.
We are not the only people being attacked, Jim Marshall as mentioned and even Chronos have had items removed.
Just a heads up on the new owners underhanded ways of trading.
John S.

It would be nice if all the posters/lurkers on this forum and all the other people you have helped over the years boycotted RDG over this. Personally can`t help as they got thrown out of here years ago.I think they`ll land on their backside as they couldn`t deliver decent service before they got Myfords so can`t see them getting better.
Mark.
John S wrote:

I don't understand. If I break up a Ford car, Ford aren't going to stop me calling it a Ford part.
On what grounds are they complaining to eBay?
BugBear
bugbear wrote:

Much the same basis that the majority of postings on ebay are just badly identified anyway?
We should all be promoting http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/ for second hand stuff ;)
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

They are using the excuse that they hold the rights to the name Myford Ltd. As you say you can buy tyres for your Ford from anywhere or pattern parts.
After speaking with solicitors and Trading Standards we have been told they are breaking the law on this, both UK and EU.
Whether Ebay will view this against a high seller like RDG remains to be seen, but long, short is they are breaking the law and getting adverse publicity to boot, neither is going to endear them to the buying public.
John S.
John S wrote:

RDG themselves are using the Myford word in adverts for parts which are not specific to Myford. Example: "Dial gauge Myford" therefore others should be able to do the same. If Ebay feel they are above the law of the land a complaint should be made to the OFT. I once fell foul of Land Rover on a product we were shipping by the pallet load which had the Land Rover name moulded on it complete with lightning strike. When Land Rover came after us the legal advice was they could do nothing about the words as that is only what they were, but could get us on the use of the lightning strike which could be copyrighted.
In article

Mark,
You may be confusing copyright with trade mark. A trade mark can be a work, an image, a distinctive shape or even an arrangement of colours. The words "Land Rover" and the lightning strike would both be trade marks. The let-out in your case was probably the S11(2) one I described in my previous post.
David
--
David Littlewood

The let-out in your case was probably the S11(2) one I described

No David,it wasn`t.
Mark.
In article

What I was suggesting was that to include the word "Land Rover" on the parts was covered by the S 11(2) exemption of "honest practice" description of spare parts as I described. To use the logo probably was not. If your lawyer said something different it would be more helpful to say so, instead of simply being dismissive of someone trying to help. Then we might learn something helpful for the present issue.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:05:30 +0100, David Littlewood

As I recall you can trademark made up words -or mis-spelt words - or words written in a distinctive way - or names. So Myford might be a trademark but it is unlikely that land rover is a trademark because land and rover are english words to describe something that roves over land.
Russell

Russell,that is the conclusion our legal people came to and was also agreed by the patent office. We could not defend our use of the lightning strike though.At the end of the day we were not going to risk a profitable business by taking on LR in court so just ceased making the product.
Russell wrote:

http://www.next.co.uk /
:-)
BugBear
On 08/09/2011 14:15, John S wrote:

I've had the same Vero or whatever ebay call it slap on the wrist over an aftermarket Amal part I sold on evilbay once.
The part is not a copy of an Amal part but is rather an enhanced aftermarket part designed specificially but not exclusively for the trials market and I have manufactured it on and off for the last 25 years.
To even use the words "for Amal" is enough for their (Burlen) "Anal" lawyers to get a listing pulled and a strike on the account.
My answer was "OK, do what you like, I'll just sell elsewhere!"

It's all a knee jerk reaction by Ebay over RDG's ham fisted method of controlling the Myford name.
Ebay have defined 'standards' for listing, there is there standard as regards Trade Names. ****************
3. Use brand names appropriately
If you're selling a brand name product, you can mention the brand name in your listing and include photos that you've taken of the item. However:
Don't suggest that you're an official dealer/reseller if you're not
Don't use the manufacturer's text, images (including photos) or logo unless you're authorised to do so by the manufacturer
Example: If you're selling an Acme brand television, you can mention the Acme brand in your description. But you're not allowed to display a separate image of the Acme logo or state that you're an Acme dealer if you're not authorised by Acme to do so
You can use 'compatible with', 'fits' or 'for' before a brand name in the title of your listing if the item is specifically designed to be compatible with products of that brand
Don't use 'compatible with', 'fits' or 'for' before a brand name in the title of your listing to describe items that are universally compatible ro that are compatible with an entire product class
******************************
Now the email they sent us started off
MC019 eBay Listing Removed: Trademark Breach - Unauthorised Listing Content (504292676)
Dear marypoppinsbag( snipped-for-privacy@metoolsonline.com),
Thank you for your recent listing on eBay. Unfortunately, your item(s) breached one or more of our policies and had to be removed from the site. Any associated fees have been credited to your account and any bidders on this item have been notified.
160642653560 - Pair 21 tooth gears - fits all MYFORD lathes 360389180502 - Pr Tumbler Reverse Gears 28T & 30Tfits MYFORD Super 7 360390022794 - Pr Tumbler Reverse Gears 28T & 30T fits MYFORD Super 7
The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, MyFord Ltd, notified eBay that this listing breaches intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of breach, we remove the listing to comply with the law.
Why did we remove your listing?
Your listing was reported for using a brand name without the right's owner's permission.
Lastly they say we were using a brand name without the owners permission but there standards say we can IF we put compatible, fits or for in front of it.
Where in those three adverts they have mentioned does it infringe their 'standards' ?
Can you sell a roof rack for a Vauxhall ? Can you sell an oil filter that fits a Ford ? Yes you can and if it wasn't allowed the big industry would have jumped on this years ago.
Looks like an interesting week ahead.
John S.

John S Versus HBBB`s
Looks like this could be fun,where`s the popcorn?
Mark.
John S wrote:

Hmm! I wonder if RDG will be pursuing me? My son has Myford as one of his middle names!!
Bob
On Sep 10, 2:07pm, Bob Minchin

Blimey Bob. I shudder to think where the poor sod was conceived
Charles
Ooops, Just had a Dividing plate suitable for a Myford dividing head removed from Ebay.
Same old excuse, using the Myford name.
Perhaps we should have listed it as "Load of Indian tat NOT suitable for a Myford " seems to have worked for RDG ?
John S.
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 10:57:47 -0700 (PDT), John S

Slightly ironic in that there is almost certainly no other current, commercial, manufacturer of those dividing plates in the entire world :-|
The lads from Hebden bridge/Mytholmroyd aren't doing themselves any favours. especially since they will need some local manufacturing capability if their stated plans for the Myford product are to happen.
The other thing that confuses me is that I see references to "MyFord". What has that got to do with "Myford"?
Mark Rand RTFM

For some reason Myford Holding registered this name at Companies house just prior to the explosion.
John S