new AUD MKII motor question

what do I do as I have just impulse bought a Boxford AUD MKII. I have a few mechanical problems to sort but the bit I cant get my head around is the motor. I know not to disconnect any of the wiring apart from the motor if im going to put a single phase motor in but if I leave it as it is what do I need as I have no idea at all. the motor is a 3/4hp 3 phase, there is also a pump for coolant and a 12v work light all this is going to a control panel in the front of the stand.

so what do I do?

Reply to
Phil

Draw out the circuit of what you currently have and then decide if you are going down the inverter route or change to single phase motor and re-wire accordingly. Bear in mind any contactors might be 415 volt coil so these will need a change for single phase motor but can be left out if you use an inverter as these provide the no-volt release switch function. If the current motor has six terminals, wired in star mode,you can convert to delta mode and run on a standard 240volt inverter. If it only has 3 terminals then maybe one of the voltage converting inverters would be the easiest way to go.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

can I post photos on here or would I be better to join an engineering group so that I can show what I have. I have joined the yahoo Boxford group but is there a bigger better forum to use.

regards Phil.

Reply to
Phil

It's not a binaries newsgroup so you can't post image attachments however just sign up for one of the free photo-hosting services and you can provide a link in your message here to the image you've uploaded. Here are 2 of the many available:-

Seymour Swarf

Reply to
Phil

at the moment the motor doesn't matter as so far I have spent a small fortune trying to get the lathe working. I have replaced near all the gears in the apron so far as one had sheared and taken out half the others and bent shafts. I have now found a few other problems with the cross slide as well. I just hope the rest is ok but I cant see it. not happy with the situation so im trying to contact the seller to see what he says as I spent good money on it and im just a little bit upset over it.

oh well lets see what happens before I do anymore to it.

Reply to
Phil

I have put a few photos on photo bucket now so people can see, don't know if its right but there's 2 areas, one for Boxford and one for Derbyshire

All Clean

in the motor

just the start of the problems

All done.

think I need an inverter

don't know if this worked but there are photos in the album of the Derbyshire too.

Reply to
Phil

Yes, you should get an inverter. You won't believe how much better variable speed is 'till you've tried it.

Reply to
lemel_man

Inverters are very good and I run one. Downside of the inverter route is that it can't run the coolant pump, the light and the motor. However a converter can run all three and I happen to know where to find one.......

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

So is it for sale then Charles and how much.lol.

I used the lathe today for 3 hours and the motor got hot and the toque was very bad. think a inverter is needed when one comes at the right price I will ask the bank lady if I can have more money.lol.

Reply to
Phil

Phil

have sent you an email

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

But that depends on whether you fitted an inverter just to feed your old 3 phase coolant pump. I did :)

One day I'll get round to replacing the main motor and fitting an inverter though.

Reply to
Martin Evans