O/T cost of 3 phase per unit

Sorry to be so off topic, but a Google revealed nothing. I need to know the approximate cost per unit of 3 phase electricity. My landlord is rumbling a lot about my consumption, keeps telling me I use about 160 units a day? Having only had 2 electricity bills in 10 years from him, were not dealing with Einstein, but if I could get an estimated cost of a unit, I'm prepared in case his one brain cell kicks in one day !!! Bob

Reply to
Emimec

I don't think it matters if it is 3 phase power or single. To get is right you will need to know the tariff name and your supplier. But as a rough guess 11-12p The standing charge is normally greater for 3 phase but that is very variable with your suppliers tariff.

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

3-phase per unit is the same as single-phase per unit as far as I know, I haven't seen anything that leads me to think otherwise over the years.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

That would be 6.6 kW continuous 24/7/365 ..

Prices vary quite a lot, but 10p per unit is about right after the first

1,000 or so units - so 160 units per day is £5,840 per annum. Not surprised he's complaining ...

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Oh btw, the charges are about the same for domestic single phase and three phase - but industrial use has VAT at 17.5% added, while domestic use VAT is 5%.

The standing charge maybe be more for 3-phase too. Depends on the supplier. If an industrial user uses a lot they may get a discount too - so it's not easy to be accurate.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Many thanks all. Sounds like it could be why the landlord says he's paying me to be there !!! The only 2 bills I ever had were scribbled on page from a page from a copy type of book, just an amount, no details. He has trouble reading the meter, doesn't really understand it, or didn't, sounds like some bright spark (no pun intended) has educated him. I want to install my own meter, when I can understand the stuff on eBay, so I can keep my own tally on the situation. Need a new MEM type 3 phase distribution MCB box to replace the old fashioned fuse type, 8 way or more, so again, any advice welcome, bearing in mind eBay is my preferred supplier. Thanks all. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Bob,you don`t give enough info to guess at your elec costs so I`ll give it a miss.I will tell you however to be very careful of MEM mcb boards.There are loads of them on Ebay that use obsolete or very expensive breakers.I have a few very nice MEM boards that I can`t install because breakers are not available.Merlin Gerin are the best ones.Unless you have to upgrade to breakers from fuses I would stick with fuses,allows far more flexibility.

Mark.

Reply to
mark

Many thanks Mark. Youre right, not enough info, as I dont have it, and I dont know enough about the subject. Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Are you sure you use 160 units per day? That's a lot - enough to run say

12 or more 2HP Bridgeports or medium size lathes fairly hard for 14 hours per day.

I don't know how big your workshop is though, and if you have any electric heating like a kiln that can use a lot.

(a 2HP Bridgeport will use less than 1 kW on average, unless run really hard)

Contact me offlist if you want an estimate based on machines, usage etc. My email address is real.

That's easy enough, a 3-phase meter costs about a tenner plus a tenner postage on ebay. You'll need tails too.

However the only way you will get to know how much the units actually cost is to get a look at the landlord's bill.

Need a new MEM type 3 phase

Mark has commented on MEM boards and MCBs, and I can't add anything useful - except if you want to change a board it would probably be good to get a sparky, or better someone who knows sparky-ing, to help - I'm unfamiliar with the regs in detail, but a registered sparky might be required to do some paperwork.

There are a few boards complete with main switch and MCBs available on ebay, not MEM brand - search for "3 phase board" - eg the 8-way 3 phase TP&N:

- also available at £95 buy-it-now - I haven't used them, but they look okay, and you can have any combination of MCBs.

Personally I prefer MCBs to fuses for 3-phase - if fuses are used if only one phase blows then you can still have two live phases. However some MCB/motor combinations can trip unexpectedly on startup etc - you will need type C breakers for the motor circuits.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother