Old RS part numbers ?????

I'm trying to identify an old apparently RS supplied component marked RS 339 487. It looks like a V3 microswitch. It has an operator button like a V3
microswitch. It has three terminals marked 1-2-3 like a V3 microswitch, but unlike a microswitch nothing is connected to anything ! As there are two of these devices in my hydraulic tool turret, both exhibiting these symptoms I'm wondering if it is something more subtle than a normal contact device - maybe hall effect or optical? The only difference physically from a normal microswitch is that the three contacts all emerge from the short side of the body away from the button, whereas ordinary ones usually have the common sprouting from a long side but bent towards the short side, and the no/nc contacts where mine are
Modern RS part numbers are of the format XXX-YYYY so searching their web site fails to satisfy. (It's in a 1983 vintage machine)
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Does it feel or sound like a microswitch? If neither then I would agree that then it probably is some form of electronic sensor chosen because it lives in a hostile environment. It sounds like the sort of thing Honeywell would make - might be worth a look at their products. Also during the working week, you don't have to be online to RS long before an annoying pop-up from "john" asking if he can help you will appear. You could ask if they can provide any info on old part numbers.
I'll keep looking too.
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

Try Cherry part no DS1101AA for something that might be near.
Data sheet still on RS website here under part no 287-585
Bob
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

Thanks Bob,
On closer examination I realise that although the mounting centres are as per a V3, the body size is considerably smaller (22.5 x 16.5 x 7.5) and nothing bigger will physically fit. RS Tech line confirm it is a 'microswitch' but then that Cherry hall effect is also called a microswitch so they use the term loosely. Awaiting RS Engineers to finish their breakfast for more gen!
AWEM
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 08:28:27 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

Described in the 1980 catalogue as a 'Bounce-Free' solid state microswitch in a V3 package.
5.92 each in those days, which was a tad expensive.
Pin 1 is positive supply and load Pin 2 is the load Pin 3 is negative supply
Supply voltage 4.5V to 27V DC
Max load current 200mA
Quiescent current between pins 1 and 3 is 15mA
--
Peter

Peter A Forbes
"Peter A Forbes" wrote in message

--

Peter,

As always you are a mine of useful information, and in this case much more
On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:34:36 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"

I couldn't work out why I couldn't reply with your response included, then noticed that you had left the "--" characters just below my reply who meant that Agent cropped everything underneath! Had to add it in.
We don't keep them all, I've had the few 1979/1980 books for years and years, and we also keep a few of the early CD's of their as well, so occasionally we can help out. We also have a small data bank of old manufacturer's data catalogues as well.
Peter
--
Peter

Peter A Forbes
"Peter A Forbes" wrote in message

I'm running Win7 so IE cannot read news groups so am using Windows Live Mail - this ends up not quoting properly so have to run WLMQuotefix - this puts a load of garbage at the bottom of the page which has to be snipped - I must have not snipped quite enough !
again thanks for your help,
AWEM
On 29/11/2012 18:38, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Might be worth considering Mozilla Thunderbird?
--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Can you URL up a photo of your microswitch,as I've got loads (probably 50 more than I'll ever use in my lifetime)
"gareth" wrote in message

It's not a microswitch, it just looks like one and functions like one - it's an electronic sensor - might be hall effect of opto - not sure. Hole spacing is V3 but case is about 4 mm smaller in two dimensions and is the biggest that will fit in the pocket that it sits in. It's all re-assembled now but this photo gives a oblique view of it:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/awemawson/Chipturn/IMGP1155.jpg
AWEM