Opening out hole from 0.996 to 1in

As part of a lathe apron overhaul I need to open out a shallow through hole of diameter 0.996" to 1in to receive a needle bearing instead of the previous
pressed in bronze bearing.
I have to admit to being at something of a loss as to the best way to perform this task. If I had one of those David Brown floating reamers in this size range then that might seem like a good option, but unfortunately I do not.
The apron casting weights around 3/4 cwt, so isn't really suited for a floating workpiece honing operation.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions for viable approaches!
Alan Bain
"Alan Bain" wrote in message

Where are you Alan?
I'm sure that I could find an adjustable reamer of around an inch that you could borrow. But as you only want to remove 4 thou personally I'd use a standard (ie fixed size) one inch reamer.
Andrew
On Thursday, January 2, 2014 12:25:52 AM UTC, Alan Bain wrote:

le of diameter 0.996" to 1in to receive a needle bearing instead of the pre vious pressed in bronze bearing. I have to admit to being at something of a loss as to the best way to perform this task. If I had one of those David Brown floating reamers in this size range then that might seem like a good option, but unfortunately I do not. The apron casting weights around 3/4 cw t, so isn't really suited for a floating workpiece honing operation. I'd be grateful for any suggestions for viable approaches! Alan Bain
If you are only likely to use this once you could make a D bit from silver steel and harden it.
John H

What's the problem with a new bronze bearing? If it was good enough for the OE manufacturer etc. Easier to make a new one of those and smack it in than mount the saddle on a mill. If you really must then the best way is with an adjustable hand reamer.
--
Dave Baker

This is a very good point. I've already replaced one of the bronze bearings which was a very straightforward operation, turned 1 thou over size and pulled in using a piece of M12 studding, a process reminiscent of replacing the front wheel bearings on my Passat, although that needed M16 studding and a bit more force!
I hadn't given the matter much thought -- the new traverse pinion head came from ZMT with a needle bearing and a reminder not to force this into the under size hole! (The machine is a Hardinge HLV-H)
Alan