OT: Anybody here know anything about generators?

I've just started-up an Allam2000 2.2kW brush-less genny that hasn't been used for quite a few years. It's had very little use since new and has been stored dry, when last used it was OK. It now starts/runs fine but there's no output. Can they lose the residual magnetism and need "flashing" like the old car dynamos? Is there any reason not to connect it briefly (when running) to the mains via a 60W bulb?

Hugh

Reply to
NoSpam

I've never heard of the need to re-magnetize but how old are we talking?, definitely would not recommend attepting to re-magnetize like that!. Let someone knowledgeable have a look at it, maybe something simple and obvious. Greg

Reply to
Greg

It all depends on the design. Some are just a case of chucking them in the bin when they stop working, others can be remagnatized, and some have capacitors that need to be recharged if not used for a while. And the techniques vary between brands/models. Some need regulators disconnected first, some are done running, some stopped, some need it done with 12 or 24v, some need a bulb, some just need a fuse, some are done directly at the output, some need done at different points.....

Best option is to try and contact the original manufacturer.

Reply to
moray

If it's an Italian alternator have a look at:-

where I found the detructions for mine at:-
page 8 If its a British Stamford/Newage/Markon you might find help at-
these give you some clues.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Glover

Just found time to poke-around. Pretty simple beast, the capacitor across the excitation winding was short circuit!. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hugh

Reply to
NoSpam