OT - anyone want a new hard disk?

Just treated myself to one of these seeing as hard disks are so cheap now.
http://computerprices.pricegrabber.co.uk/search_getprod.php/masterid )671625/st=pop/sv=prodTitle
Unfortunately, being a dick, I failed to either know or notice that SATA is a new thing whereas my old pc isn't. I need an ATA drive not a bloody SATA one. Arse! Twigged it when I opened the box and saw the different connections at the back of the drive but hadn't realised the significance of "serial - ATA" in the advert.
Just goes to show how quickly you can become out of touch with this pc stuff. I'm not quite so dim as to buy a SCSI drive instead of an IDE one but hadn't spotted that IDE has also been superceded.
It seems I could buy a SATA controller card and cables but it all seems like too much dicking about. So if anyone wants a brand new 500 gb hard disk that their own pc can actually use I'm open to offers. It cost me 63 with the postage.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

think the others are called PATAS
You may still be in luck, if your comp is less than five years old ... it may have sata plugs also ...and all you got to get then is a 2 cable
my comp has both ...the sata ones are right down the bottom of the motherboard.
just behind that double grey thick wires
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/aboard_epsilon/fan.jpg
all the best.mark

think the others are called PATAS
It seems they were retroactively named that after SATA came out but previously were just known as ATA.
You may still be in luck, if your comp is less than five years old ... it may have sata plugs also ...and all you got to get then is a 2 cable
Nah, my motherboard is 2001 vintage and SATA wasn't invented until 2003. The handbook is pretty clear on whether it has SATA capability and it don't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
However I've still not definitely established that my old motherboard still works anyway. I've been using a friend's spare pc for a year after my pet ferret tipped a bowl of liquid into my own pc and fried it. I established that the video card was dead and got a new one but I need to rebuild it again and see if it boots and haven't been able to do that with my old hard disk being in my mate's pc now. So part of the reason for a new HD was it made it easier to rebuild the old pc. If the mobo is also dead though I'll have to get a new one and then I can use the new HD anyway so all may not be lost. I just didn't particularly want to blow any more money at the present time. My old pc might only be a 1400 Athlon but it was plenty fast enough for what I use it for. I've been managing since on a borrowed 700 mhz Pentium and even that is ok most of the time.
Mind you now that I think about it, the capacitors on my mobo were looking pretty ropey last time I had it apart. They were from a batch of that era that had known problems and used to blow up very regularly.
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30328/article.html
All mine are bursting at the seams so maybe it's time to ditch that mobo anyway. In fact the more I think about it the more I wonder if I haven't actually been extremely prescient in buying a HD that will make full use of my prospective new mobo's capabilities.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Don't forget that OS's such as Win2kPro need the "EnableLargeLBA" setting in the Registry, or you'll only see 138gb on the drive.
Very late issue and those that come with SP4 will probably already have that set, but our 3 earlier issues are only with SP2 and the registry has to be set manually.
Just built a new PC with 500gb drive, cost about 35 in Phoenix last month....
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu