OT Brake disk retaining screw size?

On trying to do a simple job for a friend, I need to drill a hub back plate to take the small countersunk screw that holds the brake disks on to the hub.

Only thing is I am not sure of the thread size. I believe it could be 1/4 UNF, when I try a bsf screw it will only go so far in to an existing threaded hole.

Can anyone confirm what is used. The car is an old MGB. Or even what is used on modern cars.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

how old is the mg are we talking 60s ect

Andrew Bishop

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

MGC vintage, I would guess 60's but have to admit not up to knowing.

I would guess that modern car fittings are 6mm.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

MG B's had Unified threads & the brake disc screws were indeed 1/4 unf 28 tpi.

Reply to
Salamanda

Thanks very much for confirming my fears, I will have to buy a tap to match.

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Without going and checking, I think the modern ones are a coarser thread than normal M6.

Reply to
Recurve

OK thanks for that, I was just wondering what the later cars had as an alternative.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson