OT: dust extractors, cyclones and plenums

This may sound a little bizarre but it seemed like a good idea when I started. I'm experimenting with an old Dyson DC04 cyclone and bin in a dust extractor as a way of stopping fine dust. The top of the DC04 (where the foam filter goes) is fitted onto the the vacuum head of the dust extractor (where its filter usually fits) so that the air leaving the large collection bag goes through the cyclone and the fine dust falls into the bin.

It works BUT the airflow (compared to when a new paper filter is fitted) is much reduced. If I increase the separation between the top of the cyclone housing and the motor the airflow improves a bit so I assume the problem isn't just too much flow resistance. Any suggestions?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam