OT: Large "flat" bearing ideas

Sorry for the OT post but I think this is probably the best place for some
ideas for this problem.
I want to make a sort of "turn table" large and strong enough for an adult
to stand on.
The bearing needs to be robust enough to carry the weight but as
"frictionless" as possible. The application is to demonstrate gyroscopic
and similar effects in a school.
So, suggestions for an existing bearing I could adapt or simple fabrication
ideas would be appreciated.
(I want something that is stays together- I've dismissed grooves and
marbles.)
Thank you.
Brian
Reply to
Brian Reay.
I seem to remember that the demo I saw (many years ago) was to sit a person in an office swivel chair, holding a spinning 24" bicycle wheel, (axle extended to allow wheel to be held in hands). Then get the person to turn the axle in the horizontal plane. IIRC the bicycle wheel was spun up by friction drive onto tyre from a hand held 12V motor.
Cheap and easy.
Reply to
brightside S9
My wife has thing called a twist and tone. Amazon flog them for less tha £10. I have just stood onit and it spins easy with my (excessive) weight.
Reply to
brightside S9
That is the type of think I want to do but some ideas require the "volunteer" to be standing- well at the finish. These days I don't want to risk a pupil standing on a chair ;-)
Reply to
Brian Reay.
OMG, if you didn't come home from school with a few bruises and playground burn rash in my day then you had not had a good day. :-)
Reply to
mick
If it isn't, then you want a couple of flat pieces of blockbord or MDF,=20 some smaller bits of wood to make a housing, and a taper roller-bearing.
--=20 Old Nick
Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie
Brian
If you are still looking for a turntable have you considered a motorcycle turntable. It will certainly support the weight of an adult if it supports a bike.
Have a look at this link
John H
Reply to
John H